Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wouse101

AGP problems with HIS Excalibur Radeon 9800 pro graphics cards

I've been tearing my hair out over this problem and im about smash my computer with a 3lb sledge hammer because of the frustration I'm having with my graphics card.

I bought this card in febury and i only had a 4x AGP slot on my mother board, so i upgraded to a sparkle mother board with 8x AGP so i could get my moneys worth from my graphics card.

After exploring some settings this morning, i found out that my graphics card wasn't actually untilising the 8xAGP feature, kinda odd i thought, so in the ATI control centre program, i changed the AGP settings from off to 8xAGP. It came up with " your system needs to restart. if the settings are unstable, they will be reset to default" or something along those lines.

So after the reboot i checked my settings and they still were set to off. I checked the BIOS to see if 8xAGP support was enabled, and it was; reboot, still off. Frustration kicks in!

I also updated the drivers, rebotted again, changed AGP settings, reboot again, 8xAGP still off!!!! Its like the graphics card or the motherboard doesn't know that each device is 8xAGP compatible!

Now is it the card or the motherboard? or am i not doing something right?

ahhhh crap i knew i forgot something!!!!!!!!!!!!!

works fine now thnaks fella!

wierd i was bench marking 5000 without 8xAGP! what it going to be like now!!

Well, motherboard drivers are usually a #1 cause of driver based headaches, although it's a toss-up between whether or not it's VIA or Intel who has the more annoying chipset, as nVidia's nForce series seems to be working out well now.

And exxccessive, why hate ATI for a problem that had nothing whatsoever to do with a card using their chipset? I've been using both nVidia, ATI, Matrox (and even Voodoo when they were still around) cards back and forth for years, and the only one I don't have a billion incompatibilities with is ATI (Matrox is even more stable, but they don't make true 3D Accelerators for gaming). Either it's luck, hardware config, or malicious hardware possession by evil ghosts or what not, everyone has different luck with different chipsets. I dunno. But whatever it is, it will remain a mystery to me lol.

hi i have an ati 9600 pro and it frezzes out of the blue i hav done the lot instaed all of the drivers for graphics card mother board etc. and it still frezzes can somebody please help me ;(