Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rebiv

Conquest of the New World: DOSbox help!

Hello,

I usually check this forum when I have problems with older games, but ive come upon one I can't get to work at all.

I have Conquest of the New World Deluxe Edition DOS Version, and i've emulated them and mounted them on Daemon Tools. I have DOSbox .063 or whatever the latest version is. (I've never used this) Now, I start this program up and I mount my C Drive (Where my CNW files are) and mount the virtual G:\ Drive (Where my emulated CNW Deluxe CD is) and I get to c:\games\conquest\CONQUEST, which is the command the manual says to use in DOS, and I get this error: dos4gw.exe missing. I downloaded every version of dos4gw and it still will not work.

I've gotten that far and it shows CNWmain.exe, which is the main file im guessing, and it says that its loading or whatnot and then that dos4gw error comes up. If no one know what exactly I have to do to load this program up, ill post some screenshots of what I typed. But please, I have checked the other posts already on these forums about this game and they do not work, only got me to this point. Please, someone, step by step this for me and ill be in your debt!

Well can't help that much because I lost my copy long ago but I do see some problems.

#1: Try the game under Windows first. It may work...it may not...but if you've never used DosBox/DOS before then it may be the easiest way to get the game working.

#2: If it doesn't work under Windows or doesn't work well then try DosBox.

In DosBox do this:

Mount c c:\games

(The above command "c" creates a "virtual" C: drive under DosBox, The "C:\games" links your virtual C drive to the "C:\games" folder on your hard drive.)

Mount d "Whatever CD Drive letter your Conquest CD is in"

Install the game from the CD.

(The above command "d" creates a "virtual" D: drive under DosBox, The "Whatever...." links your virtual d drive to your physical CD drive.)

It's always best to use C: and D: drives for your virtual drivers for DOS games and not the actual physical drive letters since some DOS games are programmed sloppily.

As for DOS4GW.....If you do have the original CD and if it does require DOS4GW then it should be on the CD. If not then copy one of your downloaded DOS4GW's to the Conquest directory. Look for any .EXE file and then type in DOS4GW "whatever the .EXE file is".