Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Humpfest

Frustrated with no Network Connecting

I have tried 3 different NIC cards, trying to resolve ips with dhcp and entering in the proper static ip information from both my router and directly connecting to my cable modem. All three cards to not connect successfully. And instead of a blinking lite showing activity on my switch it stays solid green. (same for all 3 NIC's) I am running out of ideas any help would be appreciated.

Comp:

Dual p3 450mhz box with 512 rd ram. All cards are getting found fine.

Mandrake 10.2

Cards:

IntelCorp EitherExpress Pro/100+

Realtek - RTL - 8139

ADMTEK /ADM983 Linksys Eitherfast 10/100

Help?

Linux should have no problem with the cards. You seem to be trying to set up the system with static values? Does your cable company assign static or dynamic IP's to establish a connection?

Well currently my setup goes like this Cable Mododem -> Linksys Wireless Router -> Several windows comps and this linux box. (hardwire connection to linux box) I have setup dhcp on the router and it work perfectly with windows comps. Several windows comps have port forwarding so i have set them up to use static internal ips on the router. I have tried both static and dhcp setups for the linux box NIC's but I can not get anything going properly.

Thanks for your help

So I assume that you are using the Internet Utility to set up the NIC card(s). Start-->System-->Configuration-->Configure My Computer. Look and see what is assigned to eth0.

Then get to a terminal window, as root user. Type in;

ifconfig (hit the enter key)

Do you have an ip address for that designation?

It should be the second line in the eth0 entry, or whatever the card is that is configured for DHCP. It may be eth0, eth1...

Let us know if you have multiple entries here for each interface (eth0, eth1...) and post the results if possible.

Mandrake may be confused by multiple cards attached to the box (if this is what you have), or if you have onboard LAN, as well. This may need to be disabled, if you are not using it, in the bios.

I am at work for a few hours still but I will take a look into the terminal command and tell you my findings. I have also tried taking out all cards but one but same results. No onboard lan on that mobo. And I was using the internet utility. I will post findings when I get home. Thanks again.

I am at work for a few hours still but I will take a look into the terminal command and tell you my findings. I have also tried taking out all cards but one but same results. No onboard lan on that mobo. And I was using the internet utility. I will post findings when I get home. Thanks again.

Strangely enough, I own all three of the cards you mention and all work very well. Is your default gateway set correctly if using static ip from the router? With Linksys, it is likely to be...

static ip of box 192.168.1.101 (the last being whichever number...)

net mask 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.1.1 (router)

Humpfest, thanks for the images. Dapper Dan, how are things?

Maybe you can clarify the static setup in this case. This is not my forte. I wonder if Humpfest needs to delete his current network configs. and start from scratch. I bet eth1 is now eth0, since he has no onboard NIC and only one card in the system?

Does the static IP address look off too?

Hi danleff, busy, busy, busy! smile How are things with you?

Humpfest, I'd set the router first to dhcp, then shut off your box, take out whatever nic is in your box, restart so it will be found not there. Then shut down again, put in the Intel nic, restart and let it be found and configured. Then in the mandrake control center, configure it for dhcp, then press "connect." Tell us what happens... Good luck! smile

I'm back to the grind today, so I will let you know how it goes in about 10 hours when I'm off.

Cheers Guys.

p.s. Dan I did try removing all connections with the mandrake config tools and re-adding.

This connection still is not cooperating. I did as you said and completely cleared all network connections and the one card did reset to eth0, it still wont connect. And the little connection icon in the "task bar?" shows the fancy little red X all the time. Any other thoughs guys?

When you did the install, did you configure a firewall?

You know, I can remember that I seem to have had a harder time staying connected while I was using Mandrake than when I switched to RH. It doesn't make sense that that could be the case, but maybe there could be something to it. When you try to connect in the Mandrake Control Center, it says "connectiion failed?" Or are you just testing with your browser?

Just checking on one more thing. When you configured dhcp, did you tell the network config. tool to start the connection at boot time?

I didnt configure the firewall but I did turn it off to test it and the same problems occured. I did set the connection to start at boot as well, should it not be?

Is it possible that the connection is trying to run a DHCP server in itself and it conflict with the router's DHCP?

Originally posted by Dapper Dan:

Quote:
When you try to connect in the Mandrake Control Center, it says "connectiion failed?" Or are you just testing with your browser?

What does the screen say for eth0 in the Mandriva Control Center? I assume that it says "failed?"

Also, what is missing from your screenshot, does the DNS setting match the router's, assuming that you still have the static setup?

Alright - I hate to do this but did anyone see the screenshots? Obviously its not looking for a connect on eth0 or eth1 because it only lists lo and sit0

both have local ip addys.

I think for him the solution is simple:

open a terminal and type:

ifconfig eth0 up

and

ifconfig eth1 up

then he could type either

ifup eth0

or

ifup eth1

if the ifup command doesn't work he could do

dhclient eth0

or

dhclient eth1

No idea why the config tool isn't working right, but obvioulsy the commmand line part is not reading it - I'd bet thats his problem.

Yep, I saw that. I think that's why Dapper Dan was trying to get a response on if the Mandriva Control Center network tool was finding eth0, or whatever, as being activated or inactive.

I agree. He should try the command line options (commands) and see if the card comes up. I can't remember which Mandriva uses, dhclient, ifup, ifconfig....I use too many distros to remember.

I can get into Mandriva later and look around.

But I am not an expert at static connections. If his router is set to get an IP address, then his configuration needs to have those static values, including the correct DNS set in the router?

Ok guys here is the update. Yes it does say connection failed in the control centre. After clearing out all cards and putting one in and then setting it up I have elimited all eth's other then eth0. When I run ifconfig and ifup it says :

SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resource busy.

When I run dhclient eth0

I get a bunch of text saying make sure I read the readmes and download the software from a ftp site. And this error:

sit0: unknown hardware address type 776

sbin/dhclient-script: configuration for eth0 not found

sit0: unknown hardware address type 776

bind socket to interface: no such device.

I have not run linux in several years and I never was terribly familiar with it. But I have done my fair share of windows networking and all my settings are correct on static ip including the dns info.(at least for a windows comp)

Thanks for your help guys if you have any more ideas I'm all ears.

Bob