Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ill

Registry Export Error.

Everytime I try to export HKLM and HKU as Registry Hive Files using regedit, I get the following

error message:

Registry Editor

Cannot export D:\Hives\Local Machine: Error writing the file. There may be a disk or file system

error.

I am trying to export the above mentioned hive to my second hdd. Can anyone tell me what I am

doing wrong?

I have no problem using regedit to save HKLM and HKU as .reg files.

I'm using WinXP Pro SP2.

What have I tried? I did a clean install for WinXP with no service

pack update on a new hdd. As soon as the installation was complete, I

used regedit to access the registry. I tried to export HKLM as a

registry hive file to my desktop and received the a similar error

message.

I have administrator rights.

Thanx for taking the time.

I am not certain why it is giving you a "disk full" error, but as I understand it, while you can export hives, they are exported in binary format, and as far as I know cannot be re-imported. In other words, what is in there is your machine's configuration at a machine language level.

Hmm.. I got that too.

"Cannot export C:\Documents and Settings\Ville\My Documents\test: Error writing the file. There may be a disk or file system error."

Sampson,

Thanx for the reply.

I'm not getting a full disk error. I'm getting a file write error. The message also mentions that there may be a disk or a file system error. According to Jerry Honeycutt's book, Microsoft Windows XP Registry Guide, you can export and import Hives as Registry Hive Files. As a matter of fact, he states that backing up Hives is better than using Reg files.

Let me also state that I'm am able to export the remaining three hives, HKCC,HKCU,and HKCR, with no problem.

Resolved the problem. HKLM is comprised of sub-Hives. I can access each sub-Hive individually and export it to another location.

To export SAM (Security Accounts Manager) permission must be granted. Same goes for HKU.