Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mjstone03

DNS and Active Directory

I have a question that has been perplexing me for a few weeks now(it sounds so simple too): In a single domain, single forest network, I bring up my first DC and install an AD-integrated DNS zone. On my other DC's (some local, some remote, same single domain) when I promote, I look to that first DC for DNS. After I finish promoting(it never asks to install DNS), can I configure hosts to point to that second DC for DNS? Does the DNS zone data get replicated by default without installing DNS due to multimaster replication? I am seriously confused about this.

Well, this is probably way too late, but might help others. If using Windows Server 2003, you setup your first DC, as you did, and install DNS (AD Integrated, secure updates only would be recommended), as you did. Have that DNS server point to itself, and only itself for DNS in the local NIC TCP/IP properties. When you bring up your next box, have it point to that server for DNS usage. Promote it, reboot, then install DNS on it. It will then show you all the records that the first DC/DNS server had. At this point, you may change the primary DNS server IP on the new DC to point to itself, and set the secondary DNS IP to the first DC. You may also add the new DC as the second DNS server IP on the first DC.