Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

freeware program that remembers app size/position on the desktop?

Ever since the days of 95 this has been a problem that has plagued Windows users frown

Say you have a lot of different programs running (windows open, nicely arranged all over your desktop(s)). You might also have a lot of icons which you have painstakingly positioned in just the right places...

Then you run a full-screen app and *boom* when you switch back to the desktop (or exit the app) your windows are thrown all over the place (sizes screwed up too of course) and your icons are everywhere!

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to this behaviour some full screen programs behave nicely and leave everything where it was and others... well see above. frown

I have used all the registry hacks that control explorer window sizes/positions and icon placements (they work fine), but of course these don't affect 3rd party apps or those not directly linked to the explorer gui (and even then these tweaks only save settings for windows that have been closed and re-opened, they do not reset positions for processes that are currently running).

Does anyone know of a freeware app (or a *cheap* commerical one if needs must), that will allow me to control window / icon positioning on the fly? Also if such a program exists does it manage its settings over multiple desktops?

P.S I seem to remember that Nvidia incorparated limited functionatly for some of the above in its driver releases (you could add options to the context menu if I remember rightly). Does anyone else remember this, and if so does the feature still exist in the later revisions?

btw I'm running Windows 2000 SP4 and the 56.72 NV Detonators

Over 100 views and no reply?

...you lazy people you :P

Well I did (eventually!) find a program that allows you to save window positions called 'Winsize'. Although it's no longer supported it can be downloaded from:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1560701,00.asp

Although initally you may find it a bit 'quirky' (the readme is practically non-existent) I have finally figured it out (and it has saved me a lot of headaches in the long run).

Im not lazy at least smile

Yeah, i know about Winsize. I had it a long time ago when it was supplied with the mag PCFormat or PC pro but i found it pretty useless to be honest.

But different people different needs smile

hehe. thumbs up for helping youself here (Y)

Best Regards

Eirik S.