Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kayt

Visual Basic 4.0 Memory Problems

I am running two seperate executable files generated from VB4 code. The applications work on machines running win 2000 and xp. I have not tested on NT or server 2000. The applications will not run on Server 2003 or XP for Tablet PC 2005- the only other two OS's that I have access to.

The errors I get are common to both applications on both OS's on which the applications will not run.

The error messages:

1) "Out of Memory" followed by "Run time error 91: Object Variable or With Block not set.' On debug the line 'Data1.Recordset.Index = SORT$' is indicated as the problem.

2) "Out of Memory" followed by "Run time error 2004: Out of Memory.' On debug the line 'Data1.Refresh' is indicated as the problem.

I get the out of memory error once for each time a connection to a databse is made. E.g. at one point a connection is made to 6 seperate databases. I get 6 memory errors followed by the run time error.

I am uncertain as to whether this is an OS issue, a data control issue, a case of horrible programming by the original programmer issue or something else.

I also get an out of memory error when trying to add a data control to a form. Properties for 'Connect' and 'Database Name' are 'Access' and ' settings.mdb' (shouldn't be an issue). 'Recordset Type = Dynaset'. When I try to set the recordsource property I get the 'Out of Memory' Error.

(I have had issues with this code and incorrect use of the 'option explicit' selection- I have no idea if this might also be causing some problems.)

Any light that you can shed is greatly appreciated- even if it's just to point me in the right direction to research my own answers!

Hi,

Try looking at your ADO settings and what version(s) of MDAC your clients are running (and also the PC that you compile on). Also a look in the deployment wizard might help since then you can specify settings that are common to all of your intended audience.

Last thing is just recompile it in VB6 laugh

Also, Option Explicit would complain when you compile your project, so that shouldn't be causing any problems after the compilation.....This command means that you should be defining all of your variables, which is good programming practice. If you miss one it will moan that an object is undefined.