Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spondootre

Sound not working on Mandriva + Toshiba Laptop

Hi all,

I am a complete newbie to Linux, I have literally just finished installing it on my laptop, most things are up and running but I have no sound and don't know where to get a driver etc from or how to install it!! I have a "Linux for Dummies" book that i'm working my way through but I wondered if anyone could tell me how2 ??

I have installed Mandriva, the system is a Toshiba Equium A60.

Thanks

Malc

What sound card are you using? Did you check whether your card is detected? Go to System Settings and Soundcard Detection.

When I go to "configure your computer" then "hardware" and "look at an configure your hardware" then soundcard it shows that it's detected a soundcard -

Identification

Vendor: ‎ATI

Description: ‎IXP150/200 AC'97 Audio Controller

Media class: ‎MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO

Connection

Bus: ‎PCI

Bus PCI #: ‎0

PCI device #: ‎20

PCI function #: ‎5

Vendor ID: ‎4098

Device ID: ‎17217

Sub vendor ID: ‎4473

Sub device ID: ‎65296

Driver

Module: ‎snd-atiixp

Thanks

Malc

OK I now have sound!! I looked on various other forums and the eventual fix was :

open a terminal

sudo kwrite /etc/modules

when the document opens, add snd-sbawe to it

save it, close it and reboot

When I did this the mixer was available in KDE and I just had to adjust the levels.

Malc

Could you tell me what Toshiba laptop model? I'm trying to get both the sound and the internal modem working on a Satellite P10-249. I'm running Centos 2.6.9.

Thanks HotCobra

Unfortunately, you probably won't get a response from the last post, which is over 9 months old.

What model is it that you have? Is it a P10-S429?

This guide may help.

Often, the sound is muted and needs to be set unchecked for mute.

danleff,

Yes, its a P10-S429. I can't seem to get the modem or sound to work. Its not a true Red Hat install, I'm using CentOS and linux kernel 2.6.9-34.EL. Any help would be apprecaited.

HotCobra

CentOS is based on RedHat Enterpise Linux, hence the link that I gave you is a direct one from the CentOS home page.

Did you try the solution noted on the linked page? Especially look and see if the sound settings are muted, or the sound is not turned up all the way for each channel.

The modem will most likely be a challenge. It is a "win-modem" designed to work with Windowes and it will need some special work to get it going. If you like all the technical jargon, take a look at this users experience.