Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
monkeybrain

Chaintech 6600gt 128mb AGP-HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, my first post, as I expect of most its when you've got a problem that not even the A-Team could handle.

First my system.

500W PSU (+12v = 15amp)

AMD64 3000+ Newcastle

Gigabyte Nvidia MB

1024mb Ram - 2 x Ballistic PC 3200

DVD RW

DVD rom

BT wifi PCI

blah blah blah

I was running this system fine with a R9700 Pro, then it burnt out- KAPUTT- put my old R9200 and it all ran fine but no games.

I order a 6600gt card, 128mb AGP.

Fit it, connect additional power, fire it up.

All is OK, then I try and play Joint Ops....graphic test runs, enter game, play for 5 minutes then a game freeze. lasts for 30 seconds then its OK.

Went like that for a few days, then it gets worse, crashes to desktop, can't get game to even start. Then total crashes and a reboot. I cleaned out drivers and tried every Nvidia driver out there, still power off crash.

Then it even starts to power reboot when using t'internet.

Can't get a game to work, can't do anything for more than a few minutes.

Ring supplier, get return sorted and send it back.

They've tested it and its fine, plays Max Payne all nite apparently.

So I get this card back on Monday, any ideas what the FXXXs up.

I had the same problem with my 6600gt. take off the side panel of ur case and put a normal house fan up to it. try to run a game and see if the problem happens. if it does then you need more cooling. the 6600gt agp's have a horrible overheating problem. the bridge to convert the signal to agp overheats and it is undercooled.

if that doesnt help it, you might want to try another powersupply and see if that happens. powersupply are one of the weakest parts in a computer. theyre usually the most common problem makers. try those two things first before you start thinking you have a bad videocard. once you do get it running, you'll love the card. its just needs a lot of cooling. i have 3 additional fans running on mine to keep it cool. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999468

theres the link if you want to check it out. works great for my cooling needs.

Well, this is an odd one. I can honestly say that, in this case, your computer hates you. With computers, it's a love/hate relationship. And my dad has always said: "If your computer has no problems whatsoever, something is terribly wrong."

Anyways, onto the problem. Step 1: Check your heat. Step 2: Check your voltage. Step 3: Check your RAM. Also, try running your AGP down to 4X. Make sure all your voltages are within, at most, 0.10 of what they should be. (ie. 3.3 should be anywhere from 3.2 - 3.4, and constantly fluctuating. If it's constantly at 3.2 or 3.4, or higher or lower, your PSU is in a world of hurt. Same goes for other voltages.)

RAM, can, and will, crap out without totally burning out. I have a stick of 512Mb DDR400, that worked fine, and then just started fritizing. It still technically works, but when I use it, I can't even install Windows. It will cause file transfer errors during the install and lockups. So use Memtest (www.memtest86.com) to check your RAM, and try removing one of the sticks. Heat is the nastiest beastie out of all of these, it can creep up on you without you ever noticing. Check your fans, clean 'em up, and make sure you monitor your temps closely.

That's all I can say right now, what is the model of your motherboard? Saying "Gigabyte Nvidia MB" isn't very helpful :P.

Hope some of this helps, and good luck.

Problem Solved.

POWER.....all I can say is if you're gonna get a 6600GT change that standard PSU for one with a massive amp figure on the +12v rail.

The one I had gave 14amps, changed PSU and now 22amps has a smooth running system. The card gets very hot, hotter than my old radeon 9700pro, but until the 2 year warranty is up I will stick to the stock cooler and if it burns out they can replace it.

BF2, come to me.....come to me.....I'm Bingo On Ammo!!!!!!!!!!!