Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mjstone03

Linux in an AD domain

I'm interesting in using a linux machine to run in parallel with the windows machines in an active directory domain. I guess my question is, is it possible? How would you enable a Linux DNS server to replicate to the DC running DNS as a Primary Zone (not AD integrated). The domain is in mixed mode and the zone transfers will have to replicate across three sites. Each site has 2 DC's hosting primary lookup zones. Also, not too make things more complicated, but I need to also run a linux dhcp server specifically for fault tolerance in case the windows one goes down. I know this sounds kind of vague, but I'm just looking for a general explanation, or maybe someone can point me in the right direction for some documentation. Thanks people.

From the man page of dhcping:

"This command allows the system administrator to check if a remote DHCP is still functioning."

That should help you set up a dhcp failover.

Cool- good reading. I changed the plan though. The domain will be run in win2k native mode, so I'll join the samba server to the domain and attempt to recreate the shares and permissions on the samba server so I can take down the windows DC without any major issues. I need an opinion now, if you can help. Would you run a Windows WINS server if you were spanning 3 physical sites (one WINS server on each site w/replication) or would you run 3 samba servers, if you were planning on moving to all Linux within the next few years? The reason I ask is that I read that there is no way to replicate the samba WINS database. Just looking for an opinion really. Worst case scenario would be a whole lot of broadcasting over the WAN until names were registered I guess.