Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arin

Root protection.... Just like in Linux.

In Linux (using fedora) you dont login as the root. This means that you login as a user and you are unable to change some some things on the computer that could screw it up. Also it prevents you from installing applications. In order to make these changes you have to either be logged in as root or type in the root password before changing anything.

Now, may moms and sisters computers always go to crap no matter how hard I try to teach them about not installing anything.

I could make them regular users and restrict them from installing things or having things automatically installed via the interent, but there will still come a time when they may actually have to install something.

Is there a way to make an admin account, have them logged in only as users, and if an event arises that requires an admin login, a box will popup and ask for the login and password? I believe the only thing they would ever need to do is install software and if I remember correctly on work computers I have used in the past, there was always a box that popped up and asked for admin logins and passwords.

Can this be done?

If your running 2000 or XP you could restrict their accounts to 'user' level and allow them access to the local Administrator account via the 'Runas' service. Click an .exe file (or the application you want to run as an administrator from a limited account), hold down shift and then right click. 'Run as...' appears on the context menu then you can enter the name and password of an account that has admin rights.

To always run specific shortcuts from a different account to the one your currently logged in as, edit the property sheet for that shortcut, select the 'shortcut' tab and tick the 'Run as a different user' box.

You can also use this feature from the command prompt. Just type 'runas /?' (no quotes) to what options you can use it with.

**Keep in mind that 'user' level accounts on Windows machines probably won't be as restrictive as their counterparts on Linux boxes (eg users still have access to event logs, can install *some* plugins and software, have limited registry access and can run files from system dirs etc)... stay vigilant.