Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
OldSpiceAP

Weird Wierd Sound Problem

Hi all, I'm running the latest Hoary Hedgehog from Ubuntu. All was fine until the last apt-get upgrade. Here is what my problem is:

Either upon loggin in there is no sound or, there is sound or something wierder. Sometimes I log in and there is no sound so I log out and re login and then the sounds are all like:

Meewwwwoooooooblooooughhhhhhh MauhhhhhhhhDoommmeddgooofroooooogle.

Geeeeeooowmagushmananaslowbeingstupidsoundishmoooodighle

Kinda like that. All slowed down and jumbled. This is actually a good sign as if I get that I can usually logout and in again and have functional sound.

Sound card info:

0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801AA AC'97 Audio (rev 02)

Ubuntu uses the latest Gnome so I'm using esd.

Any ideas what the heck is going on?

Hmmm after posting this it didn't show up on the most recent threads on the home pages. Issomething wrong with the forums or is it me? smile

Try uninstalling the upgrades which you did since its pretty obvious that the upgrades messed your system up.

Try looking at the question "How do I configure sound to work properly in Gnome" here.

going back on the upgrades won't work well as what I did was moving from warty release to hoary release.

What I did:

changed apt-sources.list to the hoary one

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop -r

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I doubt going back from hoary to warty would be a smooth thing. Especially going back from xorg to xfree - yikes.

Any other idears ya'll? smile

Update: I followed the link to getting sound to work right in gnome that was provided, and followed its instructions.

I noticed no difference.

One thing I notice now though is that even when there is no sound, in xmms, the sound visualization beats with the music but slow, and the counter goes slow too - it takes about a minute for the counter to show 10 seconds.

I eventaully got it working but today its back to the same thing - I dodn't do anything as it just started working right randomly.. not sure why.