Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dlever

Weird Diamond Viper 550 resource clash

I recently upgraded my pc to a Matrox 400, and gave my Viper 550 AGP to the missus.

The 550 was working perfectly in my 2000 Pro pc. I formatted her drive, installed 2195 and it loaded with 16 colours. On querying the display adaptor config, it recognised the 550, but said the resources were being used by the PII Processor to AGP Controller.

I have tried everything - uninstalling disabling the PII Processor, uninstalling and disabling the Viper 550 - in various orders. If I disable the Processor it will then recognise the 550 with no clashes, But it needs the PII Processor enabled in order to function. If I then try enable the Processor it says it cannot due to a lack of resources - in other words it insists on using the same address as the Viper 550.

I have tried changing the CMOS to Plug and Play - no joy.

I know this card will work on Win2000 so what could the problem be and is there any solution?

Could be an IRQ Channel sharing conflict (AGP shares an IRQ with one PCI slot).

Pull all the cards out of the system and see if it still does it. If not install them one by one until you find the culprit. You may have to move it to another slot.

More info here: http://voodooextreme.com/flypenguin/glfaq5.htm#5_9

------------------

---

The Flying Penguin smile

http://voodooextreme.com/flypenguin

Thanks, I'll try that - the missus has a bare-bones pc so the only card apart from the AGP Viper 550 is a PCI network card.

the problem you're having has to do with the card not getting a separate IRQ for itself.

nVidia cards require an IRQ port to run properly. IN your motherboard BIOS settings, there should be a setting called "Assign IRQ to VGA" which MUST be on. Try that, and also disable all the video shadowing (but keep the Video BIOS Shadow ENABLED)

hope it helps

riz

Thanks to all.

Woke up this morning and tried the quickest solution first. Lo and behold one cmos setting did the trick - and perhaps moving the card to another slot would have as well.

What puzzles me though - why do you need tell the cmos to allocate an irq for pci vga, ....when the graphics card is AGP ?

my BH6 and current asus p2b makes the agp and first pci slot share the same irq, thus in the bios IRQ assign must be selected, I don't know if it's the same with all boards (aside of 440bx) but it probaly is