Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
matrix3000k

X problem

i just upgraded my linux machine from suse 9.1 to 9.3 last night. for some reason now when im logged into like window maker, gnome, or kde after and hour or sometimes less the gui freezes. i can still log in through ssh using putty or from my other linux mahcine i have here. i can work in putty or through console on other linux machine but the gui on the local machine is frozzen and the only way is to restart the whole machine becuase everything is locked up.

but the strange thing is is that everything is locked up but i can move the mouse but when i click on stuff nothing happens cause everything is frozzen up.

what are some cause that could be causing this. is it video drivers, X its self. what could it be?

I had the same problem with SUSE. I reinstalled several times and continued to have the same problem. I finally installed Mandrake and haven't had a problem since. I was never able to find the source of the problem with SUSE. Hope you do better at finding a solution!

zenarcher

hey everyone thanks for the suggestions you gave me but i have found out the solution to the problem. for some odd reason the nvidia drivers that are on the nvidia site are old and not supported by suse 9.3. this is what i did

i went into the XFConfig file and changed the Driver from "nvidia" over just to "nv" after i did and restarted the X server i had no more freez ups. which brought me to the concludsion that nvida needs to update thier driver to support the new versions of distros that are out there.

again thanks everyone for the help

Did you re-install the NVIDIA drivers after the upgrade? The drivers need to be recompiled for the kernel that you are using. When you upgrade to SuSE 9.3, you change the kernel version and need to recompile the NVIDIA drivers for that kernel version.

yes you are absolutly correct danleff i should have read more on the website about it but there was a howto especially for suse users which i didn't pay attension to. i read it and followed the howto and recomplied the drivers and now its working 100%. i should pay more attentsion to that info is on website about stuff like this. what i actually did was online on the nvidia website and just downloaded the driver and installed them using sh Nvidia_blah_blah.mun and didn't use the Yast online update to apply the patch for the drivers like the howto said.

thanks for the advice.

Mario