Compatible Support Forums
Jack_Bauer

Desperately need help ---> USB Devices Not Recognized!

Hey all, was hoping to get some answers smile

Yesterday morning i went to buy a 4 port powered usb hub.. ( i only have 2 spare ports at the back of my PC) So i plugged it in, and it seemed to work

initially, but with only one of my USB devices which was plugged into it: My ADSL modem.

When i unplugged the hub and replugged it back in, however, the hub

ceased to work. I got an error: "USB Device not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

Furthermore, when i try to re-connect my external USB hard-drive to the original port at the back of my PC, i get the same error message. However, i do not get this error message when plugging my USB printer and ADSL modem into that same port.

Both the external harddrive and USB Hub have their own power supplies.

The hard drive was working through that port before i tried installing this hub. But now..well, it doesnt seem to like it anymore, as per that same error message. And of course the hub doesnt want to work. Ive read around the net quite a bit on the topic, and it seems people have encountered similar problems..in their USB ports not recognizing mass storage devices.

Any help on the matter would be fantastic,

James

No dramas:

Computer:

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

OS Service Pack Service Pack 2

DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Computer Name 466FIJ9F9KCQ4XL

User Name Owner

Motherboard:

CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2400 MHz (18 x 133)

Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-8SIMLH (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)

Motherboard Chipset SiS 651

System Memory 224 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)

BIOS Type Award Modular (02/14/03)

Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)

Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)

Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:

Video Adapter SiS 650_651_M650_M652_740 (32 MB)

3D Accelerator SiS 315 Integrated

Monitor Dell P1110 [21" CRT] (2271RB02EJC9)

Multimedia:

Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio Device

Storage:

IDE Controller SiS PCI IDE Controller

Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive

Disk Drive ST380023A (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)

Disk Drive WDC WD1200JB-00GVA0 (111 GB, IDE)

Optical Drive LG CD-ROM CRD-8522B (52x CD-ROM)

Optical Drive LITE-ON LTR-52327S (52x/32x/52x CD-RW)

SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:

C: (NTFS) 76316 MB (49602 MB free)

F: (NTFS) 114470 MB (89414 MB free)

Total Size 186.3 GB (135.8 GB free)

Input:

Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:

Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (220.245.223.151)

Peripherals:

Printer Canon MP130 Series Printer

Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer

USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller

USB2 Controller SiS 7002 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller

USB Device D-Link DSL-200 USB ADSL Modem(WAN)

Thanks for the info.

It seems that many people are still getting the 'USB Device not Recognized' problem from time to time. Unfortunately there is no easy fix.

Firstly, it's recommended that you make sure every one of your motherboard drivers are completely up-to-date, but you probably already knew that.

In XP, after a USB port isn't used for a long while the USB driver built into the OS sets the OHCI controller to suspend. When you plug a device back in, it can sometimes fail to 'wake up' properly. This problem was supposedly fixed in SP1 but there is a related registry hack that may still be able to help.

Run regedt32.exe and navigate to;

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Usb

Create the Usb key if it doesn't already exist. Under this key, create a new DWORD value called DisableSelectiveSuspend and give it a value of 1. Then restart the PC.

A long shot perhaps, but I recall having similar problems with a USB hub built into my Microsoft keyboard and adding this key seemed to solve it. It wouldn't hurt in trying smile.

Alternatively, removing all entries relating to USB in Device Manager and all associated USB drivers will force XP into refreshing the USB driver stack.

Begin by unplugging all USB devices, then use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel to uninstall any USB driver software. Next, boot up into safe mode and go to Device Manager. Once in device manager make sure 'Show hidden devices' is checked under the View menu. Uninstall all device entries in this order;

1. USB peripheral devices (printers etc.)

2. HID and/or Composite USB (Human Interface Devices) You're using PS/2 input devices so you may not have this entry.

3. USB Root Hub(s)

4. USB Host Controller(s) (Universal or Enhanced Host Controllers)

Then boot back into Windows (not safe mode) and it should populate the Root Hubs & Host controllers again. Proceed to plug your USB devices back in, starting with your powered hub. Be aware that most USB printers and scanners need to have their drivers installed first before you plug them in.

Hopefully some of this may be of help, let us know how you get on.

Thanks for your reply.

Did some googling on "DisableSelectiveSuspend" and found an article of relevance:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817900

Not much help though.

I tried your method and whats mentioned there ( Does the base matter when you create the entry?)..and it looks like it isnt working unfortunately.

However, i gave the hub back, and am getting a PCI USB Card for my PC. Since the ADSL Modem and Printer still work out the ports out the back, ill leave them there.

One more question then: Should my external hard drive work with my brand new ports?

I have just experienced the same problem with my printers working on USB ports but not my USB memory stick or card reader and I got exactly the same error message as yourself.

I phoned my computer manufacturer's helpdesk and they told me I would have to re-format my hard disk and re-install Windows XP which I did only to find that the problem still existed.

Someone on one of the newsgroups to which I am subscribed suggested not only closing down my computer but also switching it off at the mains socket. Seemingly this allows any residual current on the motherboard or any stray capacitance to discharge.

Believe it or not it worked! I now have all my USB ports and devices working as I want them.

Hope it works for you - it must be worth a try :-)

--

Vital Viking

Am I glad that I found this post thanks to Google. It has helped solve my problems. The one that worked though is the unplugging the power and letting it sit for 30 min. I have a Gateway M320XL that I was getting the "USB Device Not Recognized" bubble. I contacted Gateway and they uninstalled the drivers for anything USB related (Via remote control) and then had me reboot. It helped for about 30 min then it started acting up again. Thanks to this forum though the problem was fixed with letting the notebook sit w/o external power or batteries. I hope Microsoft fixes this problem soon, sounds like its a pretty widespread problem.

~Chris~

Originally posted by vitalviking:

Quote:
I have just experienced the same problem with my printers working on USB ports but not my USB memory stick or card reader and I got exactly the same error message as yourself.

I phoned my computer manufacturer's helpdesk and they told me I would have to re-format my hard disk and re-install Windows XP which I did only to find that the problem still existed.

Someone on one of the newsgroups to which I am subscribed suggested not only closing down my computer but also switching it off at the mains socket. Seemingly this allows any residual current on the motherboard or any stray capacitance to discharge.

Believe it or not it worked! I now have all my USB ports and devices working as I want them.

Hope it works for you - it must be worth a try :-)

--

Vital Viking

Oddly enough it worked for me. I still have to say WTF to whats going on.

My problem was my USB d-link airplus G not being recognized and windows telling me it malfunctioned (Wtf) it seems that all of a sudden USB 2.0 is not supported by the computer. I also tried a USB 2.0 hub and it still said "not recognized - malfunction ".

SOLUTION RECAP

This worked for me! thanks for posting the information! As for anyone else who has a similar problem you should try shutting down the computer and literally disconnecting the powercord from the powersupply then reconnect after a few seconds and start up the computer again! - IT WORKS!. Miraculously it worked for me!

Thanks, this worked for me with a slight mod for my laptop. I could not find this solution anywhere else though...

I disconnected my new IPod Nano while it said "do not disconnect". (I know, I'm a moron). All of my USB hubs and USB devices stopped working, I repeatedly got the Windows message that the USB devices were broken. Couldn't find solution, help desk was useless (except to remind me that I am a moron). I finally found this thread, but it didn't seem to work, because I have a laptop. I had to disconnect the power cord _and_ pull out the battery. Now everything works great. Thank you!!!

Ugh, wait. That 'taking the cord off' method seemed to work fine the first 10 seconds, but again it failed to recognize my iPod.... the computer recognizes it, but not the programs installed inside the iPod, but only as 'device'. I named my iPod 'Awesome (my name)' and that no longer seems to appear, instead this 'disk' thing appears. And the files in it(notes, songs, everything) doesn't show. Also iTunes doesn't pop up automatically...it doesn't even recognize the iPod.

Anyway my question is: should that 'complete cord-off' status remain for 30 mins? Some peeps above said you must let it sit for at least 30 mins but another guy said for a few sec. Which is correct? I honestly don't see there will be any difference between 30 mins or a few sec, but would 30 mins worth a try? I only plugged it off for about 10 seconds and then rebooted the comp, but it doesn't seem to work as I said. I've tried literally EVERYTHING while googling, and, of course things on this thread as well. I even made that stupid 'key' thing which broght me no luck at all. So... reply is very well anticipated.

I'm DESPERATE! I've spent a full week looking for the cure........and this is my last hope. And...I hope my iPod isn't corrupt or something

Same problem with my Ipod nano. I don't know what to do. I called apple they said it only works on windows xp sp 2. Updated and still same problem. I have no songs on it so its useless. I been researching for 10 hours and NO luck please help.

Vitalviking, your a star, after spending 2 days trolling through endless forums i have finally got my usb printer,ext hd,phone,mp3,and card reader to work. Who would have thought somthing as easy as turning the power off at the socket would have resolved all my problems.I have been in and out of device manager so many times i was starting to go dizzy.Once again thanks and if thier is a Valhalla you shall sit at the right hand of Odin. Thanks Ian.

Thanks so much for the solution of turning off the main power. I have one of those setups where it is impossible to turn off the power due to shared printers, wireless routers etc plugged into the extension socket. I repeatdly tried to clear the problem by rebooting the copmuter and deleting all the usb profiles, but nothing worked.

It seems it was one of those electricity gremilins that was causing the problem. It seemed to arise when I plugged it in too quickly when the computer was starting up. I was seriously thinking of reinstalling and reformatting my hard disk. Luckily I didnt.

What is weird is that all my usb 1.1 devices still worked in both the 1.1 and 2.0 ports. However the usb 2.0 devices would not work in the 2.0 ports but in the 1.1 ports. Is there a link? Did the electricity grelin disable use 2.0 functions?

ross, thanks my usb drive being seen as unknown device is now fixed. As you said, I added the usb-disableselectsuspend-key, set it to 1, rebooted the computer - still no action. Then in device manager, I deleted all the USB root hubs then the controllers, and then asked for a scan for hardware changes. The mp3 and USB drive now work ok. Now just have to find the installation disks for all the software I just uninstalled.

OK, now onto the HP nx9010 laptop which has never recognised any USB drives or ipods ever. This time straight into device manager, delete 3 USB root hubs under USB, then the 3 controllers. Now scan for hardware chnages, and pronto both the drives now work. I think I might spend the rest of the night plugging and unplugging the USB drives - love the sound. Then I might send microsft or hp an invoice for 20wasted hours - no just kidding.

Glad to have found this post:

I previously had Gentoo linux and have messed around with my USB power and ACL settings, didn't think voltage would have been retained after restart ... good to know....

thanks for posting the solution

hi guys,

I have an ipod nano, and earlier today at work when connecting it to a hp laptop (i have not used the ipod with it before) it returned the message that the usb device has malfunctioned.

I then connected it up to another computer in which i connect the ipod to daily. same new error message.

I have now just used it at home and the same new problem.

I have therefore declared that the issue is with the ipod not the computers.

My solution which I am about to try is to drain the batteries down till empty. plug it in and see what happens.

I have had a previous problem where the nano froze whilst connecting it to the computer. the back light was on and there was no way to turn it off. I just left it on till it ran flat. Worked fine again after recharging.

I am hoping this is simliar to the freezing issue. I will post my result.

Hi again, Success! smile

I completely drained my ipod nano battery until it displayed a message on the screen saying that the battery was flat. I then connected it to the computer and after about a minute, when there was sufficient charge in the battery. It connected to the computer.

So in my case this method was successful in solving the USB malfunction problem.

I hope this post is helpful to others experiencing this problem with ipods.

Cya.

Thanks so much for this suggestion! smilesmile I have a Gateway laptop that's worked fine for a year and a half. Suddenly, after a scenario in which I was plugging and unplugging a USB device after waking the laptop up from sleeping, I began getting USB Device Not Recognized messages for all of my USB devices except my mouse.

After turning off the computer, unplugging it, and removing the battery and leaving it to sit overnight, when I booted up in the morning, the USB ports were back! I can use my printer, flash drive, Treo synch, and iPod.

However, now I have a new problem. :x

Now the iPod and the flash drive give me a warning message when plugged into three of the Gateway laptop's four USB ports:

"This device can perform faster

"This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port.

For a list of available ports, click here."

If I click on it, it shows a six-port USB 2.0 controller, even though the laptop only has four USB ports.

In Device Manager, it shows one USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller and three Universal Host Controllers (presumably USB 1.1). Gateway support says it's supposed to show this, and that the USB 2.0 controller's characteristics are supposed to cascade down to the other controllers. Their only fix is a complete format/reinstall of Windows.

I've twice tried uninstalling all the USB controllers and root hubs from device manager and letting the computer find them again and reinstall them, but with no change in this behavior.

Anyone know how to get the laptop to see all of the controllers as USB 2.0, as it used to?

BTW, I'm on Windows XP Home SP2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am getting the same message with my wacome tablet. I tryed reinstalling everything and I even unplugged everything over nite and still nothing. It happened randomly yesterday, it was working just fine when all of the sudden the light on my tablet starting blinking and the message bubble popped up.

So I unplugged the tablet and pluged it back in to only see the message again. So i shut down, waited 5 minutes then restarted. and still got the message. I tryed reinstalling the tablet softwear and that too didnt work. Thn i found this thread.

I sorta understood a few things but then again not ><

I tryed the DEVICESupend thingy but it didnt help ><

I'm running Emachines t1090 with a Viao hardrive with Windows XP Home edition versin 2002 service pack 2

and I do NT have the wind XP disk, This harddrive came from my exboyfriend computer in which he overclocked his video card and melted it. and come sorta of moniter thingy in the motherboard happened and i salvaged the hard drive.

Originally posted by Shagami:

Quote:
I am getting the same message with my wacome tablet. I tryed reinstalling everything and I even unplugged everything over nite and still nothing. It happened randomly yesterday, it was working just fine when all of the sudden the light on my tablet starting blinking and the message bubble popped up.

So I unplugged the tablet and pluged it back in to only see the message again. So i shut down, waited 5 minutes then restarted. and still got the message. I tryed reinstalling the tablet softwear and that too didnt work. Thn i found this thread.

I sorta understood a few things but then again not ><

I tryed the DEVICESupend thingy but it didnt help ><

I'm running Emachines t1090 with a Viao hardrive with Windows XP Home edition versin 2002 service pack 2

and I do NT have the wind XP disk, This harddrive came from my exboyfriend computer in which he overclocked his video card and melted it. and come sorta of moniter thingy in the motherboard happened and i salvaged the hard drive.

Oh and If im not on and you can help, please send an email to tkfoxx@gmail.com

thank you