Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
samc

Windows 98SE not getting installed on Intel D915GAV & P4 3.0 HT

Hi Friends...today i upgraded my pc to a Intel D915GAV with P4 HT 3.0 processor & 512 ddr 400mhz. Apart from xp sp2& windows2000, nothing seems to get installed. Windows 98SE is not getting installed at all, always getting stalled. Dos application like norton ghost are not being able to run.

Machine seems not that fast [than my previous P4 1.6mhz, Intel D845WN, 512 sdram] even with dual cpus being shown in task manager. I have a 350W power supply, carryign on with onboard graphics but have plans for getting myself a geforce 6800 GT 256mb PCIexpress. Read your discussions, am pretty disappointed about Intel D915GAV motherboard but had no option because this is the only 915 mainboard available in the place where i live i.e. kolkata, india.

Please advice regarding windows98 installation and other safety issues & bugs of this motherboard. Also brief me about the special settings in the bios.

regards

Sam

Why would you want to install 98se on a system that already has xp.sp2 + 2K?

98se isnt being installed because your hard drive uses NTFS file system? (98se can only be installed on fat32)

If you realy want to install 98se you will have to revert to fat32.

I learnt everything i know from 98se. but xp is soooooooooo much better.

Thanx pals for your replies but you actually idn't get my point. The partitions were never NTFS, they're all fat32. Xp is good but i need windows98se as a dual boot, cause i love working on it too. But even i have tried installing 98se first on raw partition on the 915GAV+P4 3.0ghz HT, but its not getting installed.

Any comments!

regards

My upgraded system:

P4 3ghz HT(530J processor);Intel 915GAV mainboard with 1mb L2 cache;512mb Xeon DDR 400mhz RAM;Seagate Baracuda 80gb PATA;SONY combi drive;350watt SMPS.

The system is stalling in between the installation process, no such error messages or even if it gets install it always boots ok in safe mode.

No DOS programs viz. Norton ghost works...and the overall performance of the pc is not that much impressive in comparison of my old system i.e. P4 1.6ghz-intel D845mainboard-512mb SDRAM.

Can u please help me with any URL from where i can know all the optimum bios settings to be done for Intel D915GAV board. I have the bios upgrade, but actually a bit shaky to do it myself, incase it damages my mainboard. I am feeling pretty upset maybe this was a wrong choice. I have plans to get a hi-end 256mb pci-express card being a hardcore gamer but then again read so many -ve feedbacks about this board, cards burning up & other stuff like that.

Please advise.

regards

If I recall correctly, the Prescott's Hyperthreading technology is not compatible with Windows 98 (saw it in the manual of my ASUS P4P800E-Deluxe motherboard, in fact I think the minimum required OS for Hyperthreading support is Windows XP SP1 or Win2k SP4). In fact all Win9x OS's don't even support multiple CPU's (and Hyperthreading gives the illusion of a 2nd CPU in the system), which would be a snag here. So to run Win98 with that CPU, you have to disable Hyperthreading in the BIOS.

Also you MUST install win98 before you install later versions of windows, unless you want to have lots of fun with a screwed up system afterwards.

S

A note on your system specs, you say you're using 512Mb Xeon DDR400? As in the high latency Xeon RAM meant for constant operation? That could be your speed problem right there, as the server RAM used by Xeon CPUs is extremely slow compared to regular DDR, and (if you're using 2x256Mb sticks) it must, like RDRAM and Dual Channel DDR, be installed in matching pairs. Just a thought. Also, they are right about HT not working for Win98se, since it's no longer supported, also, Win98se will recognize a dual-CPU config, but only after a ton of updates and tweaking.

But wait! There's MORE! On a system running XP, even if you're dual-booting with win98, there is still no true DOS mode, which is why you will have a difficult time with DOS-based programs, at least, that was the case in my experience. And, here's where you're not going to like me much ;), almost all new hardware, yes, including motherboards, will NOT work with Win98, especially since any drivers written are expressly for XP, and it's very rare that any good third-party drivers are out. This is especially true when it comes to Intel boards.

That's my 10 cents, since I'm Canadian, and the US currency is still worth more :P.

-Also, Intel is the devil, AMD will rule the world.

Hi Sam...

i also bought new pc with the same configuration, D915GAV, P4 HT 3.0 processor, 512DDR , 400mhz ram, and i am running WIN XP with service pack 2, sata (samsung) hdd, with ntfs, (i chk fat32 too)and i am having a problem that, whenever i play any game like GTA Vice city, or Virtua tennis, and after playing when i restart my pc, there is no any display on the monitor, for a long time there is blank black screen, then i reset , then boot menu displayed showing error that last time computer not shutdown properly and diff. options, like safe mode, safe mode with networking etc...

if i choose start window normally then system helds, and only safe mode works, but when i again try to restart in normal mode, then same problem occord...

then whether i have to restore windows to any previous restore point...any point, or have to format and reinstall the windows...

i did all, no any virus, i delete all partiotions and make only a single partition but same problem occured...

is there any graphics card error...

now what to do...replace main board...??