Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ScinteX

Motorola MPx220

Hi all,

Just been fiddling with one of these phones and had a few problems with it. Anyhow since I solved the problem I thought Id share it with you all on the off chance someone is having the same problem.

EDIT: I gather this phone has been out a while in other parts of the world, however here in the UK we are just getting them in :D)

The phone runs Windows Mobile 2003 SE which has its advantages - one of them being connectively to Outlook.

Ok so the thought of running MS on my mobile freaked me out for a bit but its not bad... actually its been great!

With the phone you get a CD with Activesync and Outlook on. I installed Activesync, plugged in my phone via USB and... nothing... no phone detected!

I hit Google and everyone was chatting about bluetooth and dodgy ways to get the activesync to work. Sounded a bit cr*p to me since I just wanted everything to work... i didnt want to buy a bluetooth dongle and i also didnt want to configure everything in a mish mash way.

I guess most of you have probably tweaked your PCs and as part of that disabled services (in Win 2000/XP) that nobody ever uses ever. I have done that however the ActiveSync software requires some of these not so obviously needed services.

After much fiddling I found that the following 3 services need to be enabled:

Network DDE

Network DDE DSDM

WebClient

I am sure someone reading this is saying "yes of course you need these FOOL!" however to me it didnt actually seem obvious. So for anyone using this phone (or indeed ActiveSync with another device) check these services out first. If you dont know how to check go into Admin Tools in Control Panel, then Services.

S