Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bloody

mmmm drivers

Wow, my inability to cope with a painful reality has brought me back here yet again. This painful reality is the fact that I have switched to a fairly recent snapshot of Debian Sarge... and I'm rather lacking in the decent graphical support department. I'm not really sure what to do, currently I have it set up with the generic ATI driver (being as I have a Radeon 9700). I'm not really sure what to do to get everything back to smoothness again, any ideas... I think I'll have to shoot myself in the foot if I have to stay at a 800x600 resolution for more than about another five minutes...

Do you have a liveCD for it?

If so boot it up and see if you get the resolution you feel happy with. If so, then you can probably paste the XF86Config-4 file onto your current partition that has your current Linux running (/etc/x11/xf86config-4)

If this doesn't work, you have tell your distro the kind of monitor that you are using. I'm not sure if Debian has it in its OS control center, where you tell it the brand of monitor with its right vertical and horizontal frequencies, but if there's way that you know, than that's what you have to do. Otherwise, open up your XF86config-4 and XF86Config-4.in files with root priveleges and scroll down to the monitor and screen section and make sure your monitor is listed there with its right horizontal and vertical frequency ranges as well the resolutions supported by your monitor.

You already looked in the KDE control center right? Under peripherals ->display and see if you are able to select the different resoltions.

You could also tried a program called xvidtune. Type it up on the konsole and if you are sure don't have it, then install through apt-get. Xvidtune lets you configure your monitor through a gui.

It was detecting the monitor fine, and gave me no bigger options for resolutions(I never knew 400 x 300 existed...yeesh, tiny!). I'm not sure if it's neccessarily the best way I could have went about it, but I went ahead and added the resolution I wanted to use to the xf86 config file manually(1280 x 1024), and well, it worked. As for xvidtune, it scared me away with some sort of warning message... the big meanie!(I've killed a monitor before somehow or another...no desire to ruin another) I suppose this problem is as good as solved ne?