Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iamroot

Accessing IE-only sites in GNU/Linux

I've just started school in a polytechnic and the school has this "e-learning" web portal which is pretty important cos all lecture notes and email is posted to this site. However, this site is IE-only and I'm not GNU/Linux so obtaining IE is impossible. I've emailed the web admin and he replied saying that he would only make the site Firefox compatible when "Firefox becomes more popular". And installing IE using WINE doesn't work for me. Anyone got any suggestions?

All I can say is that the Web Admin sucks! "When FF becomes more popular!" What a joke...it is already popular. I think he's just lazy.

Did also tried it with Opera?

My suggestion is to use wine-tools to install IE. I think there's a script flying around on the net that will let you install IE for you (look for wine-tools or utilies, something like that).

You can always use crossover x, or even Win4Lin who give you a free 30 trial, other than that you're going to have to keep spamming the web admin begging him/her for compatibilty with FF and eventually s/he will feel the pressure. Since it is a school go up the chain of command, meaning to talk with whoever is in charge of the web admin and if they do not complied with your request you can always write a column in their school newspaper (if they have one). That will put them on the spot, and you can explain why many people are so paranoid to use IE...well, good luck with the drama, and I love to hear what happened in the end...remember that there's a webolution out there!

That's what I thought too. But its no surprise. The IT "professionals" in my country suck big time. They're all pretty much incompetent. I tried using the wine-tools to install but it didnt work. Got some error msgs. I tried using Konquerer and spoofed IE 6 on Win XP. The web site worked slightly better but it still doesn't work well.

I wish I could apply more pressure but I have to be careful. I stay in Singapore which is really not like America. Apply too much pressure and I could land in the deep end of the pool.

In any case, I'm gonna go through the lecturers and see what happens. I don't like the idea of me getting IE and using it cos its just avoiding the problem, not solving it.