Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
m_phoenix83

Lexmark Z815 Problem

Hey all.

I'm having a problem getting my Lexmark Z815 printer to communicate with my Win XP Professional PC. I know that the hardware is not to fault, because I have installed the printer with no problems, also its BRAND NEW OUT-OF-THE-BOX. I presume the problem is to do with my USB ports.

I have 2 USB ports at the rear, and 2 USB ports on the front of the case. I have 2 USB devices; a mouse and the printer, and they are both plugged into the rear ports.

I have tried the printer in all 4 of the USB ports. But to no avail.

I then went to driverguide.com, and downloaded the latest drivers for my USB ports, installed them (again with no problems) and after a couple of restarts, I thought that would be me problem solved.

But it wasn’t, and now I have a fully functioning set of USB ports and a fully functioning printer, but they CAN'T and WON'T communicate with each other.

NB: When I want to print something from MS Word, the Lexmark printer is displayed under the available printers and it IS MY DEFAULT printer, and also when I first connected the printer to the PC, via USB, a balloon tip popped up from the taskbar and, supposedly, “Added New Hardware”, realized it was a Lexmark Z 815, and asked for its driver off the CD.

This is a very weird problem, and I hope I have explained it well enough for you all to provide some input in this bizarre problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you all so much.

Phoenix wink

what service pack of xp do u have? was sp2 added on top of an existing install?

since xp is usually pretty good with usb devices i would check the printer on another computer 1st.

ps: i had a lexmark not work spanky new out of the box. they had great customer service and replaced it the next day