Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lizparnell

Upgrade from Mandrake 10.0 to Mandriva LE2005 (10.2) Problems

Tried to install mandriva LE2005 as an upgrade from MD10.0

everything fine until all seems installed and we get to splash/holding screen. Just stays there "thinking" (hourglass turning) - stayed there all night... not sure of problem or how to fix.

TIA

Liz

At what point during the upgrade does it freeze?

If early during the upgrade, there are two potential issues.

What speed did you burn the iso disks at and on what media?

Has anything chamged with the hardware on your system since your first install of Mandrake?

Could you tell us a little something about your system?

Sorry - didn't explain very well. The problem was on booting after the upgrade, not during the upgrade itself. It would get through all the normal bootup stuff, then get to the graphical splash screen, and stop.

After searching online, I have managed to fix it by setting devfsd=nomount in lilo.conf. However, we are now having a different problem, which I think may be related. We have an external 56k modem (dialup - ick!), and when we try to connect via kppp, it says,

"KPPP cannot find:

/dev/modem

Please make sure you have set up your modem device properly and/or adjust the location of the modem device on the modem tab of the setup dialogue."

I'm assuming this is something to do with the change from devfsd to udev, but have no idea what I'm supposed to do about it!

TIA

Managed to get that one sorted out too. Turned the modem off and back on again, and it was fine. It did lose the symlink to /dev/modem from the serial port, but once I added that back in it is working.

It's always the simple things that we don't think of...