Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
choisumpapa

WEP 40 vs WEP64 vs WEP104 & WEP128

Can anyone tell me what's the difference between them.

The driver that I compiled said it support WEP 40 or WEP 104

but when I check the router, it said it support TKIP-WEP128-WEP64 encryption.

I can connect the wireless client with the router when no encryption was set. But if I enable the encrpytion, if seems that they cannot communicate.

Both router and wireless client are from Buffalo.

40-bit = 64-bit.

104 bit = 128.

40-bit keys contain 10 hexadecimal digits; 128-bit keys contain 26 hexadecimal digits.

What driver are you using and how (where) are you setting up the values for encrption?

Is your router set up for WEP and you have values set for the router?

The driver I am using is the rt2570.ko. It appears OK if I disable all the encrption and use the router's MAC as the SSID.

However, I just dont know how to configure the USB client and the router if I want to turn on the encryption.

The router that I am using is from Buffalo, so I just use the default AOSS setting, the SSID and WEP key are indeed very long, I think the key has 63 hex digits. By the way, is TKIP another type of encrption?

I set up the client by using the control centre provided by Mandrake because I dont know where and how should I put all those values. :-)

if you're setting up to use TKIP then you're not using WEP, you're using WPA

and you're going to need to get and build the wpa_supplicant ..

Sorry that I am a bit confuse, So does that imply that I have to set my router to use WEP instead of TKIP with my current driver or I should find a driver which also support TKIP. How could I build the "wpa_supplicant"?