Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Justinc

Hardware Compatibility issues

;( I have finally decided to move from Windows to Linux only to find my current hardware does not seem to be supported or compatible.

I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 motherboard, a NVIDIA CK804 Parallel ATA controller, a AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ and a AOpen 17' monitor.

Perhaps I am just not using the search properly.

Does anyone have, or know where i can look/find, Linux Fedora or SUSE or RED HAT Enterprise 8 drivers for any of the above devices.

Hoping to join the LINUX world soon, Cheers for now

Which of your hardware has compatibility problems? The mobo and processor should be fine.

Monitor is fine, however i can;t find drivers for the mobo or CPU or controller, again like i say, could be user problem, but a search in the compatibility database brings back zero match

I have always used AMD processors with Mandrake..10.1 and 2005LE...with MSI motherboards. I've never had any problem with recognition, using that. Of course, I haven't tried an AMD 64 processor yet...but just wondering if you are installing the Mandrake 64 bit system or the 32 bit??

zenarcher

Monitor is not a problem, however I have search the compatibility database and found no match for the mobo, cpu or controller. I went to the NVIDIA website and Gigabyte website too, they also do not list these as Linux compatible

Trying Fodora at the moment, would prefer to stay with Red Hat, as I want to partition the box to run one side as my home pc and the other to load Websphere App server, Portal server, DB2 and MQ to develop and learn on. The IBM stuff support Red Hat Enterprise.

My mobo is also Gigabyte K8NSC-939. The chip set it use is NVidia 250.

I have tried to install the FC3 - fails. I think it could not recognise the SATA drive.

But if I tried the FC4, installation OK, but the support for Chinese was not that good, many strange characters.

So I tried other distro like the Mandrake 10, it works. But I just couldnt understand why Mandrake 10.1 refuse to be installed.

I've also tried the Ubuntu, appears to be OK as well

I think Ubuntu has one of the best hardware recognition capabilities among all the distros now.