Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zenarcher

Mandrake Success Story

Well, for once, I don't need help with a Linux problem (except my SATA RAID setup)! I just received my new Mandriva 2005LE (6 CD Set) yesterday, so removed Mandrake 10.1 PowerPack and started with a fresh install. Well, the entire new install went perfectly. All hardware was recognized during the install. Even my HP multi function printer was installed during the process. I didn't have to go back and install it later. I'm amazed with the great bunch of applications included with 2005SE. Many I didn't have with the 10.1 system and many updated applications. Graphics seem more refined. My only real objection is at bootup, looking at the huge penguin with large stars in his eyes...looking like he's a serial killer, or some other sort of deranged bird.

As many of you know, I'm pretty new to Linux and certainly not proficient and even I managed this install without any problems. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to start out with Linux or those who like Mandrake!

zenarcher

i really like mandrake 2005. it's taken me 1 step closer to 100% linux. with the newest nvidia drivers all my games work, open office 2 kicks butt.... now if i could only figure out how to use wine dammit.

I'm using StarOffice 7.0, which I've used for awhile. I am 100% Linux, though. I did have to build a cheap Windows box for my wife..for some of her games, after switching her main computer to Mandriva, though.

zenarcher

hmm acrobat 7 pro, and quicken 2005 are the 2 main

pc anywhere would be nice

photoshop7, call of doody and that stuff works fine.

im just not too sure how wine works and how to tweak it. still reading all the documentation. any insider tips would be much appreciated