Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Exxccessive

Mother board, Multipliers, Anyone?

I bought a new motherboard, my problem is that i dont know how to set this thing "multipliers" "jumpers" stuff.

can someone explain it to me (like im a 4 yr old)?

PLS.....

Thanx

What motherboard, and cpu do you have?

Jumpers are two little pins that are on the board. Usually they have this plastic piece on them. When this piece is connected to both of them, this usually refers to being on (1). When it is off of it, then it is off (0).

CPU multiplier is what determines your speed of the cpu. If you take the multiplier of the cpu multiplied by the system clock speed, you get how fast your cpu is.

Well most motherboards, for both AMD and Intel CPU's, usually do not require any jumper settings anymore, they basically come setup in a jumperfree configuration.

That being said some however do require some settings so I suppose you have one of these boards wink

You have to match the FSB jumper to the CPU you're going to use, in the case of Intel CPU's here's a quick guide:

1) Celeron/P4, 400FSB really needs the motherboard set for 100MHz.

2) Celeron/P4, 533FSB needs the motherboard set for 133MHz.

3) P4, 800FSB needs the motherboard set for 200MHz.

For AMD Athlon's are not quad-pumped so you can't use the same rule, they are double-pumped so if you have something like an Athlon XP 2000+ it would most likely need a 133MHz FSB setting. Others require 166MHz FSB and the latest Barton cores require 200MHz.

As for Athlon 64/FX/Opteron, these are jumper free boards, or should be as I've never seen one you can configure with jumpers. However, I think pretty much all these CPU's use a 200MHz FSB and can be controlled via the bios instead of jumpers.

Originally posted by theefool:

Quote:

Cpu is Sempron 2200 on an Asustek Board

Try this:

http://www.amdboard.com/sempron.html

As for setting it up, as mentioned above, usually you dont need to physically do anything - its all usually done by the BIOS/CMOS. However, it might be useful to post the ASUS model number too.

Then we can begin the "turn your pc on, press DEL, then go into... etc. etc"

laugh

Originally posted by exxccessive:

Quote:
Originally posted by theefool:

Quote:

Cpu is Sempron 2200 on an Asustek Board

OK, you may have to update the motherboard BIOS to properly recognize the CPU as a Sempron. The BIOS could just report the CPU as an Athlon with a weird/strange CPU speed and it could work just fine however, it may report this weird speed to the OS and it may have some issues.

I believe the Sempron 2200+ is either a 133 or 166MHz FSB cpu. I know that the 2400+ and faster Sempron's are 166MHz FSB.