Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Exxccessive

Formatting a partition.

If it's not the partition that your OS is installed on, simply open up a Command Prompt and type

format x:

Where X is the letter assigned to that partition.

Or, in My Computer, right click the partition (if it is shown in My Computer) and select "Format".

If you want to format the primary partition then download a boot disk from bootdisk.com (or use a bootable floppy that you might already have), boot into DOS and execute the format command above.

Obviously note that format=loose data (there are ways to get things back but it is easier if we don't go there).

If the partition is not shown in My Computer (for example if it is a format like EXT3 for *nix) then download a good partition manager such as Acronis or Partition Magic and convert the partition to NTFS or FAT32.

Have fun

S

Alternatively, if you're using XP or 2000, use the Windows Disk Mangler (Start/Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Storage->Disk Management)

Right click the relevant partition, select format.

Easier that bothering with command line or other applications!

But, command line is the easiest way to get things done. No point and click mistakes! smile

Or you can follow the example of my sister and surf questionable websites on your lunch break. One of them will be sure to wipe your drive for you! winklaugh

----------------------

Steve Bostedor

http://www.vncscan.com

-----------------------