Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Annorax

Knoppix 3.8.1 and Vmware 5: Save Configuration?

I am very new to Linux and I decided it's time I try to make the big switch, so I started off with something easy like Knoppix in a virtual machine so I can preserve my current machine and not screw it up.

Knoppix runs great in Vmware 5, but for the life of me I can't get it to save my configuration. I have the default hardware setup, a SCSI hard drive set to 4gigs. I know I need to partition it first, so after Knoppix loads I go into Konsole and type "fdisk /dev/sda" but it says that it's unable to do it and can't find it. But if I go into the Save Config option, I can select the /dev/sda there, but naturally it doesn't work.

Am I missing something simple here? Thanks for any help. smile

Yeh.

You Gotta mount it.

Use these Commands:

mkdir /mnt/sda1

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 -t usbfs

cd /mnt/sda1/

ls

Thank you for your reply.

Before I did that, I typed "su" to become the root, and then made the drive into 1 big partition. That didn't work, then I tried your approach and now it works fine. smile

I just have some quick questions. Did I have to partition it first or would it have worked by just doing what you said? Must I remount SDA each time I want to save the configuration?

Again, thanks for the help.

One more thing, I tried reloading my saved configuration by using "knoppix myconfig=/dev/sda" and during boot it asks for a password. I gave my root password, but it doesn't work and wants a 20+ character one.....

After playing around with things, I fixed my own problem. I forgot to make a file system by doing "mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sda1". Thanks for all the help! smile