Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MatsuDa

USB devices were suddenly not recognized...

There was a thread about this earlier, however it seemed unfinished. So thought I would refresh this topic..

I was working on my notebook and I left it for around ten minutes to get my charger... After that as soon as I put the charger on, the screen came on and on the task manager It said that their was an unknown device plugged in to my usb.. This was when my mouse stopped working.. From that point none of my usb slots seem to be working. Everything I plug into it just says the same thing - Unknown Device.

I dont think that the me plugging in the charger caused this but something happened when I was gone for that 10 minutes..

I tried

- system restore.

- uninstalling the usb devices and letting XP install it again.

- restarting.

- using the same device on different ports.

nothing seems to work.. I am really dependent on the mouse and I am constantly backing up files on my ext hdd, but now is not possiable as the usb doesnt work... Any help would be appreciated..

As per the previous post, what Service Pack are you using in XP? SP2? Have you tried reinstalling SP2?

What happens when you go to Device Manager? Are the USB hubs and ports listed there?

Just a few questions.

Rgds

AndyF

Im using SP2, and I doubt there is a problem with it. This notebook is just around 2 months old.. When I go to the device manager everything is there, except it mentions Unknown device.

When the problem first occured, I got this msg; "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has melfunctioned, and Window does not recognize it."

I found this;

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B318773

article and thinking it may be the issue, although I have doubts because at that time only my mouse was plugged in, and that only has a usb connector.

Can you test the mouse on another system?

Is the Human Interface Device (HID) service enabled, set to automatic/manual and running in Services (services.msc).

Look for HID in service name.

In the Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers > USB Root Hub > Power Management. Uncheck all boxes on all root hubs.

Ive tried the mouse on another computer and it works. It is not the mouse that has the problem as i have tried other hardwares such as thumb drives..

I dont understand what you mean about the human interface device.. Sorry, Im not familiar with much computer terms...

I tried unchecking the box in the power mangement, but still has the same problem

Originally posted by MatsuDa:

Quote:

I dont understand what you mean about the human interface device.. Sorry, Im not familiar with much computer terms...

Ok. Step by step. smile

1) Click Start, then Run.

2) Enter "services.msc" without quotes, Ok.

3) Locate "HID Input Service" or "Human Interface Device Access" service. Double click it.

4) Set the startup type to "Automatic" from the compobox.

5) Click "Start" button.

6) OK and exit services application.

And one thing you can check is the Event Viewer, look if there are Error and/or Warning entries. Click Start -> Run : "eventvwr.msc".

While surfing on other forums, another solution is to buy device called USB port hub. Like "Hi-Speed USB 2.0 4-Port Hub" from Belkin. http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Product_Id=198333