Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jarves

mother board

hi,

i have a mother board labeled bxcel pc100 on it, it has a slot type processor pentium 3 450Mhz. can i upgrade the processor to something like pentium 3 700 + Mhz? or something greater than the 450 Mhz? it also has an agp slot on it. is it ok that i put on a 64mb videocard with my processor being p3 450Mhz?

and also can i use a pc133 or pc150 sdram on it?

i hav no manual for my motherboard so i hope you could help me out and maybe refer me a link to the manual.

tnx a lot..

howdy jarves

finding info and the manual for this mobo should not be too difficult. the board model and the vendor name (e.g. ASUS, ABIT, MSI, Gigabyte etc.) should be somewhere on the mobo. Once you have the vendor name you can go to the respective website and download the manual for the right board. In case it is some sort of OEM-board, you will need to boot it once and write down the info that appears on screen at startup. These infos usually contain the motherboard model.

<edited>

A quick search braught me to This Website. Your mobo seems to be a PCChips-thingie.

</edited>

</edited2>

This Page also seems to have useful infos.

"Model: MB-571 TX Pro II

Chipset: SiS 5598 Chipset OEM

Name: MB-725, 726 & 729, PC100 BXcel"

</edited2>

Even though, you should be able to run any P3 cpu with this board, or at least those P3s for which the mobo has the right CPU-slot/socket and frontside bus frequencies for. P3s used to have an FSB-freq. of 100 (the "B" and "EF" steps) and 133 MHz (the P3-"E" model if I remember correctly). This also includes CPUs faster than 450.

As you have the slot-version you might also want to check for something called the "Slot 1 -> Socket"-adapter, as most of the faster CPUs came as (F)PGA/socket version (i think; someone curse them acronyms).

Your major prob will be to _FIND_ a p3 processor at all smile We still have a dual P3 database server here, and I think we baught the last 2 P3s in Europe last year smile On the other hand (and if you don't mind fearsome encounters): This might be a good chance to check around on eB(etr)ay smile

hope that helps