Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
blazt4me

New to linux looking for suggestions!

I'm new to linux as the title says. I'm looking for suggestions,sites,good sites for programs (preferably free stuff lol to get me started) just about anything.i do alot of gaming got a radeon 9800 xt (not sure if there are custom drivers and stuff for graphics cards like omega drivers)

and i'm runnin suse 9.2 pro. kinda looking for suggestions for maybe a different newbie friendly verison of linux. I seem to be gettin alot of people tellin me not to mess with suse. thanks in adv.

Suse 9.2 is fine. You might want to try Fedora Core 3 as well. The first thing you should do is download and install APT-GET to solve all your installation woes. Have you installed the ATI drivers for your card. You won't get any gaming done with the default drivers.

I commonly reccommend nowadays to try out Ubuntu. It is a simple distro that fits on one cd. It includes the latest gnome, which is simpler than kde.

You would find it simple to use, and it has good hardware detection. The firegl drivers are not included but come on the apt repository. There is a good howto do alot of things on www.ubuntuguide.org

telling you how to install your videocard drivers, etc...

It works quite well, is simple and easy to use and includes most needed software.