Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
benben

New Linux user, needs install help!

[/color][size:24][/size] ;( PLEASE HELP ME!I am new to Linux, and to this site. I noticed that someone asked in a forum how to install amsn, and there doesn't seem to be a respose there. I am getting a little frustrated with this, because I am an advanced Windows user, and this is so much different. I have Red Hat 8.0, and it seems like evrything is a pain to install. Can anyone give me some tips on installing programs, especially amsn![/b]

Is there a reason you want to use amsn? Can you use GAIM instead? I use the CVS (development) version of it myself, and you can either get it from gaim.sf.net or hit freshmeat.net for the source or RPMs to install it. GAIM will support MSN as well as AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, etc.

Did you read my intro post here?

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=302

It gives an intro to directory setups and what methods there are to installing applications.

Important note: "Wish" means you need to have the tcl/tk packages installed...

Yep ... my bad my bad ...

and ( )

a)If you want shortcut in your desktop too

exec command : 'wish /home/*un/dir/of/msn/amsn'

b)If you want to change browser ( cause the default one's mozila , as root cd .amsn / vim config ( make your changes )

*username

Farewell

I download the files (tlc8.4.5 & tk8.4.5) and unzipped them, but I still don't know how to install them in my Redhat 9 system.

Can someone please give me a hand? Thanks.

Do you have it as an RPM, or as source? If it's RPM, just double-click it. If it's in source, then:

cd [tk/tcl directory]/unix

./configure

make

make install

Just go to the amsn homepage and get the RPM for RH 8. Then either doubleclick it or go the console and use

cd / (directory amsn rpm is located in)

then

rpm -Uvh (amsn filename)

to install.