Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
folgers

Need driver for Netgear WG311T for Knoppix and dynebolic

Hello, am relatively new to Linux. Have a system that is not already connected to the Internet. Want to install this card to connect wirelessly thru a router to the Internet. I've looked at this page - http://www.marlow.dk/site.php/tech/madwifi which is very confusing as I come from the Windows world. Don't have time to learn the nuts and bolts of doing this. Does anyone have a zipped up type file that has the Linux drivers that I can copy then copy to a diskette or CD to the system?

These cards are often made for Windows environments, so a "package" is needed, like ndiswrapper or madwifi, or whatever to detect the card. Manufacturers often neglect to have drivers available for their cards, or openly document what chipset is on the card, which would make things easier.

If I remember, this is not an Atheros chipset on the lan card? Can you confirm the type of chipset on the wireless card via any documentation?

I remember DapperDan had a link to a database that outlined each card and the chipset it has. Also note, that different versions of any given card could have a different chipset, so make sure that you are looking for a package that has support for your card and version (chipset onboard the card).

Let's see if anyone has the information on this.

Thanks. Pardon the delay, but I had changed my email address and didn't ever get notification that anyone had replied.

For the Netgear WG311T PCI A wireless PCI card, in looking closely in diagnostics it is listed as an Atheros AR5001X+ wireless network adapter (so Netgear must just stamp their name on it..). Do you need any other information?