Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nick601

Internet Gateway problem

Hi

I am having trouble with my home PCs

I am running a D-Link DSL 504 Router that has a built in 5 port switch, this is used to connect my laptop and my parents pcs to the internet

We connect to the internet through the network cards on our PCs

My dads PC just got a load of spyware on it yesterday (Elite and Derbiz)

now when any of our computers are on the internet an Internet Gateway appears in Network Connections

We are all using Windows XP SP2, Norton Antivirus 2003 and my Dads is running Antivirus 2005

I have Run Ad - aware and various other anti spyware programs and i cannot get rid of this internet gateway - it WASNT there before the attack

I have also reset the routers factory default settings and this does not help

Apart from Formatting all our PCs and starting again i have no idea what to do

HELP please!!!!

Many Thanks

Nick

additionally any other checks i could do to get rid of possible spyware would be much appreciated!!

many thanks

Nick

Hi

Thanks for reply

the only thing that is worrying me is that the internet gateway icon did NOT appear before the spyware attack, which leads me to believe that its part of the spyware

when i go to the properties of this gateway there are no options or anything available and none of the boxes have any settings in them??

im currently reformatting my laptop and hoping this will remove this icon

Hi

Thanks for reply

the only thing that is worrying me is that the internet gateway icon did NOT appear before the spyware attack, which leads me to believe that its part of the spyware

when i go to the properties of this gateway there are no options or anything available and none of the boxes have any settings in them??

Originally posted by nick601:

Quote:

Most certainly. smile

sadly this did not work!

i think it might be something to do with windows update as i was monitoring the netowrk connections and when i connected the laptop to the internet there was no gateway icon, however after i downloaded and installed all of the windows updates the icon appeared again

Nick

It's there becuase you have UPNP enabled (universal plug-and-play). It's normal behavior if your gateway supports UPNP, and allows you to connect and disconnect.

Mine does the same thing...no worries.