Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
xellex1289

installing my Gateway OS on a non-Gateway computer

hey,

i just built my new pc and i was planning on using my old Gateway system disk with WinME on it for my OS. well i just found out when i put it in that it will not work with non-Gateway computers. This made me angry. ive tried many different ways to get around it and im stumped.

does anyone know how i could possibly install this cd on my new pc??

thx...

Hi,

I tried something like this a while ago on a relative's PC. I did try everything I could think of and couldnt get it to work. In the end it turned out that the Windows disc was looking at the BIOS... that would be different in a new PC.

I imagine this goes along the lines of 'its an OEM CD'.

I wish you luck but i thought id reply and pass on my annoying experience!

This link explains

http://windows.ittoolbox.com/documents/document.asp?i=2555

I actually ended up installing Fedora Core 3 (linux) on the PC since my relative only surfed the net and read emails.

S

Yes, this is certainly the case, since I work for a system builder we had at one time these same BIOS locked OS installs as well.

Sorry to say that there is no way to transfer this at all, in reality Microsoft does not allow you to transfer this OS and it's EULA to any other machine. You will need to either purchase the Retail version or if you purchased a complete system from a system builder then they should be able to sell you an OEM-DSP version of the OS wink

Actually, there is a workaround. But, since I did this years and years ago as a test, I can't really remember the steps. But, I believe you have to copy the files directly to your hdd, and modify a few files. Once again, I can't remember the details.