Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zenarcher

Using Evolution Email With Firefox Browser

I am using Evolution 2.0 email with Firefox 1.0.2 for my browser with my Mandrake Powerpack 10.1 Linux system. Both Evolution and Firefox were installed by RPM's. The problem I'm having is when I open an email in Evolution, which displays a clickable link to open in Firefox, I cannot automatically open Firefox by clicking on that link.

I have searched for a solution, but have not found one which is clear enough for me to understand how to resolve this issue. I'm guessing I may have to make a symbolic link or something, between Evolution and Firefox, but I'm lost as exactly what to do and how to do it. I'd sure appreciate some assistance with this one.

Thanks,

zenarcher

do this:

open your shell and type:

gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/command -t string 'firefox %s'

and

gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/https/command -t string 'firefox %s'

This will set firefox as default browser for evolution (in a non Gnome DE). Im using another linux so please be sure to check what your firefox link is.

Of course you can use this link to any browser you wish.

Thanks much for the information. Here is something I was told, and it solved the problem, which might be of use to someone with the same issue. I am using KDE, but there is also a way with GNOME.

Go to KDE Configuration Center..Select Components...File Association...Text....HTML in the MIME type tree.

Select ADD...under "Application Preference Order." Then, write the command "firefox %U" and press OK. Apply and close out of the Configuration Center. After doing this, when I click on a link in an Evolution email, the Firefox browser opens just as it should!

zenarcher