Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
videobruce

Slow file transfer between 2 computers

If I transfer files from box A to box B using box A as the controlling terminal all is fine, BUT if I transfer the SAME files from the same location to the same location using box B as the controlling terminal the transfer is either very, very slow or dies altogether. I tried different files and the same thing. I reversed the transfer (B to A) and still the same thing. The computer which I used to initate the xfer shows no problem. If I do it from the other the xfer dies.

I have defragged both drives and changed NIC's in both boxes. I also forced 100 full duplex on both cards.

Both boxes are running 2k w/sp4 with new O/S installs.

Hope that made sense. Any ideas?

I did more test xfers and reset the NIC's to 'auto' where I could and it seems ok now. Xfering a folder with many subfolders that contain many jpegs is a very slow xfer wher as a single large file flies.

Is this a 'Windows' thing?

hi bruce,

i've the same problem here with a XPSP2 and 2000SP4 machine. Transfering files from XP is fine but viceversa is almost dead. i also tried the settings you made without success. I ping'ed from both machines without showing any delays !

Anyone have an idea ?

thanks

phil

@ anyone interested

i've solved the problem. it was the configuration of the network cards. The Link Speed/Duplex Mode of both machine was set to Auto Mode. After setting the XPSP2 workstation to a fixed 100BaseTXFullDuplex mode and the other 2kSP4 system to Auto Mode everthing is working fine.