Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CyberGenX

Dual Channel Inquiry

I have an intel setup and just ordered some fresh ddr. I ordered another dual channel matched pair. The reason was that I believe one of my sticks in my current dual channel pair is bad or going bad. My question is that once i have the bad stick replaced can i run ALL FOUR STICKS in dual channel mode? All sticks are the same speed, size, and timing. Based on the FAQ below it looks like it. I just want some additional input.

FAQ

The Desktop Board D865GRH supports DDR400, DDR 333 and DDR 266 SDRAM Memory. There are two DIMM channels supporting up to four 184-pin DDR SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Modules (DIMMs) with gold-plated contacts.

Thanks in advance.

Yes and no, let me explain.

You really will not know for sure until you try it out on that motherboard. If the replacement uses different memory cells then the original then there is a very good chance of failure and/or just random crashes and lock-ups. The reason is simple, even if the stated timings and speed rating are the same, there can be minor timing issues between mis-matched memory cell manufacturers.

Be sure that when you get your replacement that it can be replaced with the same manufacturer memory cells. If it can't then perhaps the place of purchase can replace both sticks for you with a matched pair wink

Originally posted by cybergenx:

Quote:
Assuming they are all identical it should work though, correct?

Correct smile

Also, check the motherboard BIOS rev, if there are any updates consider flashing before installing memory into all four slots, this is because some motherboard manufacturers didn't do all the proper testing with 4 sticks of memory. Also the later BIOS revs tend to include fixes for different memory modules and correct timing errors too.