Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
krisis

DirectX problems - Direct3D fails

I can't get any Direct3d games to work. When I go to dxdiag it shows:

DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Enabled

AGP Status: Not Available (<-- problem!?)

When I run the D3D tests I get:

D3D7 Test Result: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x887602eb (error code)

D3D8 Test Result: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086a (3D not available)

D3D9 Test Result: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086a (3D not available)

How can I fix this problem?

AMD 2000+

512mb ram

Geforce 6600GT 128mb

Windows XP SP2

DirectX 9.0c

I have tried up[censored] to latest VIA chipset drivers and latest nvidia drivers (as suggested in some other forums) but this hasn't fixed the problem.

I haven't been able to get this to work since reformatting my PC a couple of months ago. It worked for me before the reformat so it wouldn't be a videocard/hardware problem (plus I tried 2 other different video cards in my PC and I still get the same problem). Only difference I can see is that I installed Windows XP SP2 after the format, whereas I only had SP1 before it.

PLEASE HELP!? I'm desperate!

I'm going to assume you have a socket A/462 motherboard since you describe your CPU as a 2000+.

That being said, which make/model of motherboard is it ?!?

Have you looked at the manufacturers website for a BIOS update ?!? The reason I say this is because you have the latest generation nVidia GPU and I'm also going to suspect you have an AGP model which could be an issue if your motherboard is only an AGP 4x model instead of the latest 8x chipset.

Normally the 8x AGP cards can go backwards to 4x and operate normally but perhaps there is a signalling issue with this motherboard and/or the VIA chipset.

The other thing to note here is that you have the same error with other graphics cards so I'm really thinking a corrupted OS and/or device drivers, this includes DX9 too, or the motherboard maybe on it's last legs perhaps. But one other thing you may want to test out, the Power Supply. Do you have a spare and what is the make/model of the current PS ?!?

The motherboard is a Soltek SL-75DRV5 supporting 4x AGP as you said. I have the latest BIOS update from the manufacturer.

The video card is said to support 8x/4x and is brand new (as of yesterday), as I was hoping this would solve my problem. I previously had a Ti4200 (also 8x/4x) which worked up until the reformat.

The power supply is a 350W (not sure of brand, but it wasn't expensive :)). I don't have a spare to test unfortunately.

Have you tried update your AGP drivers?

And try older drivers (e.g. 61.77)?

Make sure that "Hardware acceleration" is set to Full on dxdiag.

Yes, as I mentioned in my first post, I installed the latest VIA 4-in-1 to update AGP drivers. And I've tried every nvidia driver available, even the ones that came with my card and originally worked.

I think I'm going to have to try uninstalling SP2 or DirectX 9.0c... neither of which I really want to do.

Try running DXdiag again and see if anything in there lists a possible problem.

Also if you check the Performance tab of the Display properties, you should see a slider that normally is all the way to the right of that screen. Perhaps it has been adjusted to the left which starts to turn off various graphics options.

No, no problem is listed under any of the other dxdiag tabs and all other dxdiag tests work. Also, the performance tab you mention has the slider all the way to right.

Originally posted by krisis:

Quote:
No, no problem is listed under any of the other dxdiag tabs and all other dxdiag tests work. Also, the performance tab you mention has the slider all the way to right.

Then I'm at a loss unless the registry and/or the OS has gotten corrupted somehow.

This could be due to many issues including hardware like the ram, ps, cpu and motherboard....

I uninstalled SP2 and I now have the AGP Texture Acceleration back, but the Direct3D tests still fail frown