Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Leo V

Performance with nVidia's new Win2000 drivers?

nVidia just released "optimized" W2K drivers, Version 3.78 on their website. However, as we all know, nVidia's beta Win2000 drivers were way slower than Win98. If you installed the new drivers, how was your performance? (In Direct3D and in OpenGL/Quake3)?

thanks! I can't wait to migrate to W2K, but the slow drivers kept me from doing that....

They are great!

UT performance is a lot smoother and better looking, and Q3 is good too. I would migrate soon my friend, as soon as all drivers are released.

I concur. I am running a TNT2U and UT performance is great. I think it's as good or better than Win98. Come on and jump on the Win2k bandwagon.

And if it was'nt For this Board and all the help of the peeps... my Unreal experience would suck!! It running fine!! I love Win2k.. and with these new 3.78 drivers.. d3d is running cool.. I use opengl for q3. It runs well aslo.

The True test will come this weekend. Big LAN party at my house!!

Gonna kick some but

------------------

When the world comes to a halt, Hold The F*** ON!!!

I am less than impressed with the performance of the 3.78 drivers in Unreal Tournament in Windows 2000. I am on a Celeron 450 w/ 128 megs, and I'm using a 32 meg TNT2 Ultra.

Does anyone else with 128 megs of memory have good performance with these drivers (similar to Win98 performance figures, as far as swapping / texture thrashing is concerned).

I put a watch on free physical memory (RAM) in Win2k and right before I launched UT, I had about 58 MB free RAM, out of 128. (notice RAM, not total memory). That's a fairly decent amount to dedicate to a single task, and similar to the amount of free physical memory I have free in Windows 98 most of the time. But alas..

I'm thinking about upgrading to 256 megs if it will solve my problem, but I want some more concrete evidence on whether it's a driver problem or just a lack of system memory.

diehlr,

Try going into your Unreal System Directory

Look for UnrealTournament.ini. Open it up and do a find on "Cache" (im not at home right now so i dont know the exact line)

It looks like this.

Cache=4 ??

note: this is opitmized for glide. If youre running D3D or opengl try bumping that up to 64 or 96 mb.. I noticed a huge difference by doing that...

And if you do a search in this forum.. You may find more helpful tweaks for UT..

------------------

When the world comes to a halt, Hold The F*** ON!!!