Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
packman

Calling all you TFT monitor owners

Hi, now here's something to investigate, especially those of you with TFT monitors and running Windows 2000. Have a close look at the Taskbar at the bottom of the screen. Okay, if you haven't configured Windows to make the Taskbar disappear when you're not using it, do so, by putting the mousepointer into the Taskbar, right-clicking, selecting Properties and then checking Auto Hide.

Now, when you allow the Taskbar to disappear, does it in fact TOTALLY disappear, or do you still see about half-a-millimetre of it (ie. the top edge of it)? I've recently invested in a new TFT monitor and that's precisely what I see, whereas with my old CRT monitor, I could of course adjust the 'raster' to make it completely disappear when I wanted. But TFT 'rasters' are supposed to be fixed and super-accurate and certainly the display test suite that I've run has returned 100% results for the display's geometry. And yet I see that half-a-millimetre of the Taskbar.

So, perhaps Microsoft always intended that the very top edge of the Taskbar should still remain visible, when the Taskbar is meant to be hidden? Annoying, that.

of course it was always meant to be visible and it was visible on my crt monitor too

You say "Of course it was always meant to be visible......". Well, actually, on my CRT monitor I used to tweak the vertical amplification to just take the top edge out of sight, when the Taskbar was meant to be hidden, and that didn't affect the efficacy of the way in which the mouse movement rertrieved and re-hid the Taskbar. So, I strongly suspect that the leaving of the top edge is only for some ill-thought-out users' purpose, nothing else. It's a pity that the top edge remains on a TFT, because (particularly on a large TFT) it spoils the 'grandeur' of the display.