Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
martonbank

DVD re writer poor performance

Hi I have just purchased an internal Aopen DVD rewiter mounted in a Safecom portable case,(ready assembled), I have not used it for writing yet but have tried playing a DVD on it, Everything seems to operate OK but as soon as the DVD has a lot of sound and graphics at the same time (eg a concert) the sound stutters and the graphics flicker.It cannot cope. it even freezes on occasions.

I have tried the playing DVD in my read only DVD drive and it is fine , I am using Cyberlink PowerDVD 5 which came bundled with the player it all runs through a USB, the company that supplied the equipment said it might be a compatability issue and renewed the rewriter drive just in case it was faulty.

I am running XP pro , 1.1 AMD athlon processor , 384mb cache.

hope you can help

this is not gonna solve your problem but why would you wanna play a movie ro whatever using your burner if you got a standard dvd rom?

the thing is youll just end up using the lens on the burner for nothing rendering it unusable much faster

It s not my intention to use it for watching DVDs i only tried a DVD in it to see if it was working/connected properly.

I have yet to use it for burning, but because it would not play the DVD properly I wondered if it would write and rewrite ok.

It s not my intention to use it for watching DVDs i only tried a DVD in it to see if it was working/connected properly.

I have yet to use it for burning, but because it would not play the DVD properly I wondered if it would write and rewrite ok.

Sounds like the DVD burner is going through the problems I had with my old computer. Everything played fine, as long as there wasn't a lot of "action". Found out that the players speed was not quite good enough.

So, my question to you is: How fast is your regular DVD player, and how fast is your DVD burner? Another thing to try is to take the DVD burner out of its houseing (voiding its warranty) and connecting it to a regular IDE cable.

But, it sounds to me that your dvd recorder just can't keep up. But, recording should be fine. If not, you may have a bad dvd burner...take it back and get a new one (Provided you didn't break the warranty by using the above method smile )

I dont have the speed of my regular DVD player but the burner speeds are as follows;-

16 x read and 16 x write - (single layer)and 2.4x write (double layer) 4 x rewrite for DVD+RW/+Rand 48x (read) 32x write CDRW.

The spec of the caddy is as follows:-

Rate: USB2.0 (480Mbps) USB1.1 (12Mbps)

Interface: USB2.0 A,B

Cooling: internal fan

Hope this is enough info to diagnose the problem.

Do you know if your motherboard supports USB 2.0?

The lower bandwidth of USB 1.1 could cause the problem you describe.

Hope this helps!

Yankee

I do not have USB2, only USB1 but i am assured by the retailer that it works perfecly through USB1.

Do you thinks he is tellin' me porkies.

Is 12Mbps through the carrier too little to play DVDs?

and if so will it at least be enough to write and re write?

Thanks for your help

The USB1.1 transfer rate is fine. Only thing to do is to go ahead and use the writer as a writer and see what happens.

Also, what is the make and manufacturer of this unit?

The Writer is an AOpen DVDRW DUW1608

the caddy is marketed as a Safecom SUSB2-252ACF

These were purchased as an assembled unit from UkZan.com

Have you tried testing the bandwidth of your burner with Nero DVD speed or another similar program?

This should give you an idea of how fast the data transfer rate is between your burner and computer.

A dvd at 1x uses a transfer speed of 1.35mb per second. If your speed drops below this in testing I wouldn't recommend burning any DVD's.

Good Luck

Yankee

I've read some aopen posts about this drive not being able to play well with Nero. Other people suggest taking the drive back in and using something other than aopen.

Another user with this same drive, had problems playing brand new dvd movies in this player. But, burning worked just fine. They tried upgrading their video drivers, and now they can play movies. So, I suggest upgrading your video drivers and seeing what happens....

I think I will return the drive, thanks for your help, can anyone suggest an alternative that will work well on my pc specs.

External only? I'd say just get an internal combo drive. Something that will burn and play everything. We haven't had any problems with the lite-on products.