Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
trianibal

Linux Suse 9.2 newbie needs help with a cable modem

A long story short, my windows XP crashed my whole system and I had to rebuild from the ground up. A friend gave me a copy of Suse 9.2 but is just as clueless as I am when it comes to LAN connections and cable modems. The Suse help info said that my computer should auto detect the ISP and all should be good. Well it ain't. I had to make the computer a dual boot (with winXP) so that I could get online though my windows partition to seek out help.

Here's what I know so far:

I have a cable modem (Motorola SB5100) connected to the computer through an ethernet line. Suse recognizes the network eth0 card and will let me configure it. I have tried to have the DHCP auto detect with no luck. I have tried putting in the existing static IP addresses (gathered from windows) with no luck. Looking back at dmesg I find: eth0: no IPv6 routers present. However I never configured the routers set up in YaST. The LAN line on my computer is integrated into an ABIT NF7-S2 motherboard.

Any hints, tips, or fixes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brian ;( ;(

That's weird. I've never run into any such problems with all the GNU/Linux distros i've used. My cable connection is always auto-detected. Are you using cable or DSL?

Two questions. Is this the NF7-S2 or NF7-S2G board? The latter has a gigabyte lan system that maybe Suse has not caught up to yet.

Second, you do not have the router connected via USB, you do in fact, have the system connected by ethernet only (CAT5 cable)?

Trianibl wrote "...I have a cable modem (Motorola SB5100) connected to the computer through an ethernet line. Suse recognizes the network eth0 card and will let me configure it. I have tried to have the DHCP auto detect with no luck. I have tried putting in the existing static IP addresses (gathered from windows) with no luck. Looking back at dmesg I find: eth0: no IPv6 routers present. However I never configured the routers set up in YaST. The LAN line on my computer is integrated into an ABIT NF7-S2 motherboard..."

I have exactly the same situation except my NIC is an Intel EtherExpress card.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Joe Mayo