Posted 27 March 2005 - 02:43 AM

How do i do it

#2 danleff

danleff

Carpal Tunnel

• Moderators
  • 2903 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 08:51 AM

Can you be a little more specific? Do you just want to store the packages for KDE 3.4 on the drive, or install KDE 3.4 on a distro already installed on the drive?

What distro and version are you using?

#3 blackpage

blackpage

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:38 AM

(2nd attempt: Somehow pressed return and the form was gone; so if this post appears twice, I apologize in advance).

howdy cheetahman,

you can install KDE to wahtever directory you want. This also includes folders on external drives. Prerequisite is of course that you have a fixed mount point for the KDE dir on the external drive. I suggest a preocedure as follows ...

1) Install KDE to fixed hard disk
KDE will likely go into "/opt/kde" or somewhere underneath "/usr" (distro dependant) and see if everything is running smoothly.

2) Leave X and go to console (also make yourself "root") and copy the complete KDE folder to your external drive
(e.g. "mv /opt/kde /mnt/myexternaldrive_kde_dir")

3) Create a sym-link to the folder on your external drive
("ln -s /mnt/myexternaldrive_kde_dir /opt/kde")

DONE

This way the link redirects everything to the external harddrive and KDE still thinks it has set up camp in "/opt/kde"

You can also skip the symbolic link. In this case you would have to adjust the evironment vars "KDEDIR" and "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" to tell KDE where its home is.

hope this helps

#4 blackpage

blackpage

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:40 AM

addendum:

Just checked the KDE site and they have a nice explanation of things (except the question "How many stars are in the sky?" smile here ...

KDE Faq

Chapters 4.9 and 4.13 repsectively address your issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq