Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wicked101

Antivir vs. Avast

Hi all,

Since most of us using Antivir have been having trouble up[censored] it I started thinking of using some other AV proggie, I dont like to stay up till 03h00 in the morning to try and update it:(

So, anyway, I've got this Avast now just to try it and so far it seems pretty good smile

Now, my question is: does anyone else know this AV proggie? and what do you think of it compared to Antivir?

Thanks

Wicked

Originally posted by Wicked101:

Quote:

Now, my question is: does anyone else know this AV proggie? and what do you think of it compared to Antivir?

My computer files are protected by Avast! Home Edition.

IMO, this is one of the best free AV programs.

+ Does not eat a lot of computer resources, takes about 10mb of memory when idling.

+ Have protections/scanning ability for email, web, im, p2p programs.

+ Updates almost daily and the update files are not so big.

++ Boot-time scanner

+ And it is translated to Finnish... smile

- In free, home edition there is no protection for malicious scripts.

Thanks for the reply Wilhelmus, I saw all of that as well when I installed it, and it looked pretty good to me, but I had to get a second opinion wink

So far I like it, now I can install it on the other 3 PC's as well smile

Well...some extra stuff. Boot time scanning is only for NT based machines. Not sure about NT4. I haven't tested that. But with XP and 2k, there it is. 9x, there is no boot time.

Also, dial-up users seem to have problems sending out large emails. So, I recommend, disabling smtp scanning if you are dial-up.

I recommend the following with the scanner. A boot time scan, a safe scan scan. After that you should be fine.

Oh, and I have see some machines do a boot time scan. "Kill" some virii, then boot normal, and find more viruses.

Personally, I like Avast!. I'm using pro right now.

The company that has avast has a few other programs they are using too. One is a recovery software that sux comapred to winternals ERC commander. Another is a network based virus scanner.