Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sflesch

cable internet problems with win 2k

ok has anyone else had this problem? for some reason when i installed win 2k on my machine and i would try to go online through my cable modem it would go fine for a little while and then it seemed like the internet connection had been severed. but when i reinstalled win 98 it did not do that. its really pissin me off cause i like win 2k.

amd k6-3 400

epox mvp3g-m

196 mb pc100

viper v770 ultra

sb live

obsidian x24

d-link 530tx ethernet card

adaptec 2940 scsi

Try selecting your media type on the nic to whatever it actually is instead of leaving it at default. To either 10baseT or 10baseTx probobly. Try them both. If you only have 10baseTx just choose that.

I had a problem like this once. It would disconnect right? After about and hour or so and you would need to reboot? Yeah I did a little digging and I found people that were having this problem and most of the time it said to change the media type from default to whatever it is. I did that and the problem went away. Hope it works.

yeah i would have to reboot everytime. now you said something about media but you lost me. i am fairly new to this. i have only worked with win98 se so this whole nt environment is new to me.

I think he means go to network properties, and go into the properties of your NIC, and select 10baseT or 10baseTX

ok so when the network properties box is displayed what should be listed? cause when i was usin win 2k the only thing that was listed was tcp/ip.

right click on my network places and click properties. You should be in network and dial up connections now. Find the lan connection that is the network card that you are using for the cable modem. You can check it on the left. Right click on that one and click properties. Click the configure button. Click the advanced tab. find the option that says media type. Try both 10baseTx and 10baseT. I dont think you need to reboot inbetween each one but I would just in case.