Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Fahidsh

Can I install Red Hat Linux 9 onmy PC? Please help!

Can I install Red Hat Linux 9 onmy PC?

please help, I just love to use Linux, but don't know much about it, however I am almost a genious in MS Windows, what I mean I know computer, but not Linux

Please help

My PC specification

MotherBoard: GigaByte 8LS533

VGA: Intel®82845G Graphic Controller

Sound: Avance AC'97 Audio

Modem: Intel HAM plus V.90 Modem

CPU: Intel® Celeron 1.87Ghz

yes you can install RH9 on your pc. linux works on almost all configurations of pc, so there should not be a problem for you.

first you will have to down load the ISO images and burn them on a cd.

then you can put in the cd and follow the on screen instructions to install the os. they are pretty simple and in most cases the default choices are the correct choices.

all you need is some free space in your box.(i am assuming you have windows installed).

in linux you need atleast two partitions root ( '/' ) and swap.

the swap is typically 2-3 times your RAM and the root is the amount you want to dedicate for linux. typically you need around 3-4 gb for the system files.

if you are planning to install windows later on then don't.

windows expects to be the os on the system and it won't coexist with others. so install windows first and then install linux, which won't mind.

If you're proficient in Windows then getting RH9 up and running shouldn't be a problem. Becoming proficient in GNU/Linux is a different matter however.

OK, guys.

Thanks a lot. some one sugested me to visit here, and ask some one if my PC is compatible for Linux.

thanks for your assistance.

Well, one more question friends!

non of my hardware devices has it's drivers for Linux on diks provided with the hardware.

I'll try to ask my hardware vender about this issue is well, but could you people give me some idea.

Originally posted by shobhit:

Quote:
if you are planning to install windows later on then don't.

windows expects to be the os on the system and it won't coexist with others. so install windows first and then install linux, which won't mind

yes I want to keep Windows, and install Linux, and don't want to lose Windows untill I have atleast a good control over Linux. I am just a new-bie for Linux at this time.

I've heard a lot about Linux, and I am just so excited to see, what it looks like, how is Linux different from Windows, as many people says: Linux is much more stable than Windows, I want to see the stability, and then maybe, I'll forget about Windows, and just start using Linux.

The one problem that I see is getting the Intel HAM modem running. This is the only issue, as depending what exact model that you have, these are modems designed to run in Windows only, so called "winmodems." Most of the work is done by drivers to use the CPU, as these modems don't have their own controllers.

Any reason why you elected RH9, rather than Fedora, which is much more current in terms of hardware support?

Well, exactly as you said Mr.danleff, I am having the modem problem, every other hardware is just working fine, but the modem has not been detected, and working.

OK, if that's the case, I've to goto market and got a new modem for my PC (that could work with Linux). What you sugest about a good modem.

I don't knew what is the difference between Fedora and RedHat9. I just went to market and asked, "I need Linux OS", and the salesman gave it to me, saying "This is one of the latest releases".

However, I have now steped into Linux, so I hope I'll learn a lot about it soon, with people like you supporting.

It may take me a delay of about next two months to start learning Linux more seriously, since my exams are closing-up, so I've to look after them instead.

Well, either the saleman did not know enough about linux, or he was not being truthful. The easiest solution is to get an external serial modem. DapperDan keeps track of this. See the link to his post on this subject here.

The modem should be an external serial, which has it's own controller and does not rely on the computer's CPU and driver software to run.

You could also try Fedora Core 2 or 3, the latter is the latest release. RedHat 9 was released in March 2003. Fedora Core 3 in November 2004. Fedora is essentually the newer version of RedHat, under a different name. If you have a cdrw burner,m you can download Fedora or any of the newer distros. If not, they can be had cheap. You don't have where you live on your profile, but if you do not have a burner, one good source is Linux Central.

I can't say if the Intel ham is supported, but believe that getting an external modem is still the answer and will avoid a lot of headaches trying to load a driver for this modem, a real hassle, as RedHat does not natively support it.

yeah that'll install fine on i think your sound might be messed up i looked that up and all i found was mine which is A REALTEK AC97

I also like to add that you also have many other options under Linux. Red Hat is just one of them, but if you would like to keep track of all the other options for Linux, you can visit here:

http://distrowatch.com/

You will see there a list of the top one hundred Linux distros in there, so you can start getting acquainted with the different names for Linux such as Suse, Mandrake, etc. I think it is a good place to visit for beginners.

PC workstation hardware specifications supported by the ff:

microsoft office suite

vnc viewer / remote desktop client

gftp(gui for ftp client)

firefox internet browser

yahoo messenger

skype (voip client software)

PC workstation hardware specifications supported by the ff:

microsoft office suite

vnc viewer / remote desktop client

gftp(gui for ftp client)

firefox internet browser

yahoo messenger

skype (voip client software)

pls.thank you

You might want to try PCLinuxOS. It comes as a live CD so you can try it before installing to your hard disk. You can download it free at the following link.

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/pclos/html/download.html

Download ISO, burn to CD (don't burn at over 8x to ensure you get a good burn), place the CD in the drive, make sure your BIOS is set to boot from a CD and then reboot your PC.

I find it a cut above others including redhat fedoral core.