Compatible Support Forums
Justbill

Having a little Trouble!

My computer is running slow, slow, slow, all of a sudden! Is it possible to have gotten a virus, and or spyware? I am running FC3 on my machine. Also, I get a message when I log in:

"Could not look up internet address for 68.184.200.78.charter-stl.com. This will prevent GNOME from operating correctly. It may be possible to correct the problem by adding 68.184.200.78.charter-stl.com. to the file /etc/hosts" .

How do I resolve this problem? How do I add 68.184.200.78.charter-stl.com to /etc/hosts ?

Please give me detailed instructions, as I am still Linux illiterate :-)

Thanks

Justbill

After I posted this, my computer would hardly connect to anything on the internet. I tried rebooting, and that didn't help. It is still really slow, and takes forever to link to anything. I got frustrated and put in a "Puppy" live cd, and that is what I made my connection with to edit this post. The "Puppy" live cd has worked normally and reasonably quick (connecting to web addresses), which leads me to believe that the problem is in FC3 some how. Justbill

[Edited by justbill on 2005-03-20 21:55:20]

compare the /etc/resolv.conf in Puppy versus FC3.

it seems your name resolver configuration has gone bad in FC3.

Runing as webserver with webmin and virtualmin gpl

here is computer info

Motherboard k8mm-v

CPU Athlon 64: 2800+

Memory 2gb

harddrive 2x250gb

Installed fedora 5 and then install other software like webmin and virtualmin

it was working ok

but i guess after some update it became really slow

got stuck on one application then reboot the system

then i cannot log on as root

saying root is not allowed

so i have use as rgular user but at this point

it was taking for ever and starting message bus we taking very long

i am not genious so i need your help to solve why this fedora is slow . I use fedora 4 was really happy but this driving me nuts can any one help me.

how to solve i think some thing to do with bug or configrations

can you help me

Thanks

Paul

patil@telus.net

This machine is only a web server? In this case you should consider to switch to CentOS 4.4. CentOS is a recompile of the Redhat Enterprise Linux sources, which based on Fedora Core. The main differences between Fedora Core and Enterprise Linux is that Fedora Core is always getting the latest packages while Enterprise Linux is more optimized for stability.

Hi, Im having trouble uploading a picture I want to use for my profile pic, and need help. Any suggestions?