Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lotus

Anyone else tried the new Netscape 8 Beta?

It's actually a pretty nice browser. It's options are very close to Firefox's with the addition of a few more. It has a real interesting GUI as well. It's different, but has potential to be very usefull. If anyone is interested in it, go check it out Here

I was planning on installing just to check it out and remove it in a few days. Not sure now, might hang onto it for a few.

Go have a look!

- Lotus

Well, on my home system (3.2ghz w/ 1gig PC3200) Netscape works like a charm. But here at work on my 1 ghz cpu w/ 256mgs ram it slows down a lot. At one point it was taking 89megs of memory and using over 85-90% of the cpu. yuck

The new tab features kick ass. You can have multiple tabs load as your start page, and you can control your tabs very well. (Like close all tabs from an originating website) The other key feature is that it has both the Netscape Engine and IE Engine built into it. You can set which engine you want a bookmark or tab to use! It even works with Windows Update!

Anyone else tried it? It's worth a try, but Firefox is still better imo. Does firefox have an extension that allows you to load multiple tabs on startup? I really like that feature in Netscape 8 beta.

- Lotus

Yes, firefox has for awhile been able to load multiple tabs on startup. In Tools, Options, General, under Location(s) fill in your favorite websites. Like....

ntcompatible.com|fark.com|hardocp.com notice the pipes between each site. This is what seperates each site into different tabs. Or, you can simply open all your favorite sites into multiple tabs, then go to Tools, Options, General, and hit the "Use current pages" button. This will autofill those pages in the Location(s) section.

Any other questions, feel free to ask me. I've been using pheonix/firebird/firefox since 2000 timeframe.