Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hunterex2000

Bug Too! under Windows XP! HELP!

Hi...

This is my first post on this site, so I'll start off by saying 'Hi' to you all.

OK, to my little problem. I recently aquired Bug Too! for the PC (by Sega) which was originally designed to run under Windows 95. Upon trying to install the software (under Windows 95 compatibility mode) with SETUP.exe, the game installer for some reason is setup to install Direct X 2.0 first, before the game itself. So, for some odd reason, the game crashes with the message: 'Could not install Direct X. Installation failed'. Then it returns me to Windows XP. So the game installer won't even start. HELP!

Is there a trick I can use, or a way of disabling the Direct X protocol? I loved this game when I was younger, and it's a darn shame that Windows XP has all these bloody stupid issues. All the other Sega PC games that were designed for Windows 95 and Windows 98 install fine, and the majority run (to some extent).

Any help or information would be fantastic. I'll owe so much to someone who can sort this problem out for me. If you need more information (disc files, my laptop setup, etc) then let me know.

Regards, and thanks in advance...

Ash.

Well.. you'll need some how bypass the directx installation. smile

One thing could try is if the setup uses registry to check directx version, you change value in registry.

Start->Run:regedit.exe

My Computer->HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectX

There(on the right panel) is value named "Version".

DirectX 7: 4.07.00.0700

DirectX 9c (latest): 4.09.00.0904

And:

DirectX 2.0 / 2.0a: 4.03.00.1096

Backup the value before you modify it!

Export the registry path (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectX).

Try downloading Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 4.0 and see if it have some DirectX related compatiblity.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...;DisplayLang=en

And see if there are dxsetup.exe or other oblivious directx setup application and try move it away from the installation folder (Copy CD to HD). It may skip the dx installation Or give error about missing file... smile

My .02c.

ok this works, go to START - PROGRAMS - ACCESSORIES - then WINDOWS COMPATIBILTY WIZARD and set the game up from there.. you can set up all games meant to run under older windows versions.