Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
normael

Unable to boot Linux Mandrake from CD

I copied 3CD's from a DVD supplied by APC magazine.As advised, I copied all 3 CD's to my hard drive as ISO files(Whatever they are). I opened each file and used a program called undisker to copy the individual files to a CD. Therfore I have 3 CD's with the actual files displayed. When I insert disc 1 and reboot I get the Welcome screen but when I click on Install Mandrake linux nothing happens.I am running XP Pro SP2 with 392mb RAM, 20 GB Hard drive, Pentium 3 700mhz CPU..........Help Please

Have your tried loading up one of the Linux Live CDs in your computer to play around with. I'm not saying that you should get away from Mandrake (Which is one of my favorites) but I would recommend either download some live CDs like Knoppix, Mepis, BeatrIX, Morphix, and so on. Check it at http://distrowatch.com/. You download this live CDs into one cd, burn it, boot the computer with cd inside cd-rom, and jut play! Good thing is that it doesn't touch your system at, but you can always decide to install them to your hardrive if you desired.

Or you can can download the three CDs from Mandrake and try to see that maybe something happened to the CDs.

the iso images of the cd need to be burnt to the disk, for the install to work.

i am not sure what undisker does, and how it burnt the CDs.

You can actually run the install from the raw iso files that are on the hard disk with a Mandrake boot cd. They just have to be the actual iso files somewhere on your hard drive. I just did this about a month ago. The drawback is adding packages later on. If you would like, I can post how I did it over the weekend. The boot cd will ask where to install the files from. You pick the hard drive and point the boot disk to the location that the iso files are on. No need to uncompress the iso files.

But, if you are making cd disks, you need to burn the iso images as that, images, not as data disks after uncompressing them. See my how-to here.

is this mandrake 10.1 you are trying to install?

I remember, for some odd reason, the installer is on the 2nd iso. you start the intall with disk 2 and then put disk 1 in when prompted.

I think thats right, if memory serves me correctly, or i may just be going senile.

Well, the issue is that the original post stated that the user extracted the iso files, then burned them to a disk. This does not burn the iso files to the disk, which is the correct method of burning iso images.

Also, the original post was from March, so I assume the user has moved on, or he/she burned the disks correctly and moved on.

You are correct. The older version of Mandrake sometimes required you to insert disk 2 first. This was a glitch in the iso disks and is no longer an issue.

Silly me, I forgot to check the date of the thread.

How come it showed up in the latest threads then? Thats why I replied,because I saw it in the latest threads.

Also, I did the same thing as normael above, the first time I burnt an ISO to a disk. Not that uncommon when people first attempt to burn their own ISO's I guess.